GBR egg eaters

FishNoob

Hello! Just curious here… do you guys think that my Siamese algae eater is eating my GBR eggs or is it 100% eggicide? I’ve got a breeding pair in a 10 gallon with 1 albino pleco, 2 otos, 2 little swimps (red crystal & amano) and 1 nerite snail. I’ve gotten fertilized eggs 3 times now, but on day 3-4 “someone” thinks they’re living in Russia and has themselves some caviar. Ma & Pa Kettle are about to go to a bare bottom hospital/sex tank but I was just curious if it could also be the Siamese getting in on the snackin’ action. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:39 PM, FishNoob said:

Hello! Just curious here… do you guys think that my Siamese algae eater is eating my GBR eggs or is it 100% eggicide? I’ve got a breeding pair in a 10 gallon with 1 albino pleco, 2 otos, 2 little swimps (red crystal & amano) and 1 nerite snail. I’ve gotten fertilized eggs 3 times now, but on day 3-4 “someone” thinks they’re living in Russia and has themselves some caviar. Ma & Pa Kettle are about to go to a bare bottom hospital/sex tank but I was just curious if it could also be the Siamese getting in on the snackin’ action. 

I'd put the blame on the BNP.

My suggestion is to move the eggs out and hatch artificially. My son did  whole breeding series on this. Here's the thread...

For a more current way, you can follow my long Ram journal thread here on the Forum...

Thanks! That’s the next step. Hospital tank, then pull Ma & Pa out of the tank… I was just trying to let nature take it’s course, so to speak and was curious if I idiotically introduced a new egg eater. Trying to intervene as little as possible (other than adding BBS). My other pair (in a 75 gallon) are laying too… the 6 yo-yos put every single one of those eggs down though. I never thought the BNP would eat their eggs! He may temporarily get evicted? Appreciate the links…I’ve got LOTS to read & learn.  I could literally lose an entire day watching our fish.

I HAVE WIGGLERS!! I have watched your son’s videos about 759 times. They’re quite informative, so thanks!!

Next dumb question: About how long do they feed off their yolk sacks? 

I have BBS ready. Instead of the Micron, I bought a tiny pouch of Hikari First Bites. I did my first 50% water change this morning….. I’m just excited they’ve made it this far. Thankfully, my husband and I are water snobs and already have a R.O. system.

image.jpg