Is this hair algae?

I have a couple of recently purchased bettas in 10g quarantine tanks.  Running sponge filters and a couple of loose Java ferns that I had.  

This morning I noticed these white filaments on both filters.  I recently did one pump of easy green for the ferns (in the last day or so).  I hadn’t noticed the white stuff before.  Is this hair algae?  It’s so stringy, so I wasn’t sure...

785602FF-C06F-4197-9AC9-6154B70F584E.jpeg

8DE5AB63-5F13-4137-A0D3-40D89BAD1551.jpeg

On 5/30/2022 at 12:32 PM, Minanora said:

It could be staghorn algae.

That was another thought but isn't staghorn usually related to low flow? 

On 5/30/2022 at 11:48 AM, Reis2 said:

Using EZ Green. 

There could be a correlation between easy green and the algea. For me it appears the day after I use particular all-in-ones.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:40 AM, JoeQ said:

That was another thought but isn't staghorn usually related to low flow? 

I don't know. I've had it grow on various surfaces in all flow rates in my 75. I just picked off a few tufts from rocks in there that are in a higher flow area. But I'm a pro at unintentionally growing algae.

I just (re) started using an all-in-one, heres my filimentous algea which i believe is more specifically called water silk. If left it will turn green and develop into the classic green hair algea. 

20220530_124450.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:48 AM, JoeQ said:

I just (re) started using an all-in-one, heres my filimentous algea which i believe is more specifically called water silk. If left it will turn green and develop into the classic green hair algea. 

20220530_124450.jpg

I have this grow any time I use easy green. Unless I drop the photoperiod by 35% while I use it, which makes my plants reach for light too much. I've since stopped dosing nitrate in my 5g, 20g, and 75g display tanks.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:12 PM, Reis2 said:

Ooh that looks just like it.  I was freaking out a little because it reminded me of runny snot in consistency 🤮

I prefer to compare it to cob web but a sticky snotty texture also describes it well! 🤣 It's easiest to clean with a twisted up pipe cleaner, by wrapping the strand around it. Try not allowing a lot of free floating pieces. It replicates by fragmentation. Good luck, water silk (spirogyra) has been the bane of my aquariums existence and the reason I joined the forum..... 

On 5/31/2022 at 2:48 AM, Minanora said:

I have this grow any time I use easy green. Unless I drop the photoperiod by 35% while I use it, which makes my plants reach for light too much. I've since stopped dosing nitrate in my 5g, 20g, and 75g display tanks.

Imo i believe its caused by a in balance of nutrients. There are 2 all-in-one fertilizers that cause it (i wont list them) .... And one brand that doesn't, incidentally it contains lower iron and calcium. Today is water change day so im intrested to see what happens when I get back on my usual fert schedule (which doesn't result in water silk) then add dtpa iron into the mix. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:42 AM, JoeQ said:

I prefer to compare it to cob web but a sticky snotty texture also describes it well! 🤣 It's easiest to clean with a twisted up pipe cleaner, by wrapping the strand around it. Try not allowing a lot of free floating pieces. It replicates by fragmentation. Good luck, water silk (spirogyra) has been the bane of my aquariums existence and the reason I joined the forum..... 

Imo i believe its caused by a in balance of nutrients. There are 2 all-in-one fertilizers that cause it (i wont list them) .... And one brand that doesn't, incidentally it contains lower iron and calcium. Today is water change day so im intrested to see what happens when I get back on my usual fert schedule (which doesn't result in water silk) then add dtpa iron into the mix. 

Good point! I dose ferrous iron on a lean dose and rotation.