PH Too Low After Indian Almond Leaf Added

TimmG

Hello all. Was at a local mom and pop shop the other day and grabbed 2 Indian almond leaves. Came home and added one to the water. I even posted on here about it (the shrimp got the zoomies). Well now I've had 2-3 shrimp die the rest seem fine, and the mollies took a lot longer to get active than normal when fed. I tested my water and the PH went down from 7.2-7.0 to 6.2-6.0. My well waters PH sits right around 6.8-7. Anyways I did a partial water change and got my PH up to 6.4. How do shrimp keepers add IAL without issue? I know I could just remove it and do more water changes to get the PH back up around 7, but I hear IAL are very beneficial. And if most shrimp keepers use IAL and that special substrate that lowers their PH even more I don't know why 1 leaf in a gravel tank would cause an issue.

shrimp.jpg

tank.jpg

Something to note: the ph of tap water often will change after sitting. I’d let some sit overnight and then do another test. Your baseline might be lower than you think. 
What’s the KH of your water? KH plays an important role in keeping the PH from dropping.  

Also, how long has the tank been set up and when did you add the shrimp? 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, Patrick_G said:

What’s the KH of your water?

My KH is 3. My GH is 5, PH is 6.0-6.2, Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, Nitrate is 0ppm. I add Shrimp Minerals GH/KH+ my tap water has a KH of <1 and a GH of 1. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:16 AM, TimmG said:

My KH is 3. My GH is 5, PH is 6.0-6.2, Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite is 0ppm, Nitrate is 0ppm. I add Shrimp Minerals GH/KH+ my tap water has a KH of <1 and a GH of 1. 

Because of the low KH in your tap water my guess is that it’s PH after off-gassing is lower than your initial measurement. I’d stick with using the shrimp minerals and remove the Indian almond leaves. Neither the Mollies or the Neo Shrimp like it too low. 

• Thanks 1