Discus Quarantine/Sick Ram

Willie T

Soooo . I just got 2 new large discus , they have been in quarantine for 6 days ( just for observation ) and are swimming and eating well with great color. I obviously want to keep them in there for another week or so before putting in my main tank with the others…My issue is that I think I have a sick Ram(not interested in food) in the main tank now, all the other Discus in there are fine, so I am debating on do I go ahead and put the new discus in the main tank and take out the Ram and medicate him, or just watch him and leave the discus in QT. Don’t really want to medicate the whole tank if it’s not needed. 🤷‍♂️ Don’t know the right decision, any suggestions? Thanks 

On 5/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Willie T said:

Soooo . I just got 2 new large discus , they have been in quarantine for 6 days ( just for observation ) and are swimming and eating well with great color. I obviously want to keep them in there for another week or so before putting in my main tank with the others…My issue is that I think I have a sick Ram(not interested in food) in the main tank now, all the other Discus in there are fine, so I am debating on do I go ahead and put the new discus in the main tank and take out the Ram and medicate him, or just watch him and leave the discus in QT. Don’t really want to medicate the whole tank if it’s not needed. 🤷‍♂️ Don’t know the right decision, any suggestions? Thanks 

I’d probably remove the Ram and put him in with the new discus, then run meds if you notice anything worsen. Then you’re treating the ram and discus 

Recap: 2 apparently heathy discus isolated in ur qt. 1 apparently sick fish in show tank with other discus.

options:

1. move the discus into the tank early, and the sick ram to qt for treatment. The risk that they infect the rest of your tank is lower than leaving a sick ram in the tank.

2. Move the sick ram in with the discus and treat with med trio.  The risk of injury to the discus is low since the treatment would begin as soon as you put the ram in the tank, and the med trio is a safe treatment for qt fish.  

id go with 2

Thanks Ken, yeah that’s basically the options, I’m going to assess in the morning, ( I just noticed this afternoon) if the Ram is still acting off and not eating then I will make a decision, if he is eating then I can give the metronidazole and antibiotic in the food , seems to always work better 🤞