Using solder for plant weights

Yes, unfortunately lead tends to... it's not really "dissolve" because in general the lead stays intact, but it's also not "flake off" because it's on the atomic level, but... you know what I'm trying to say? Atoms tend to shed into the water. And lead toxicity in water is pretty bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2022 at 3:54 PM, Baphijmm said:

Yes, unfortunately lead tends to... it's not really "dissolve" because in general the lead stays intact, but it's also not "flake off" because it's on the atomic level, but... you know what I'm trying to say? Atoms tend to shed into the water. And lead toxicity in water is pretty bad.

Baphijmm, I understand what you’re trying to say.

I’m the President of the National Association For Historic Recovery. One of the things we specialize on n is going to private property, that’s adjacent to battlefield areas, and recovering unexplored ordinance, as well as removing lead bullets from the ground. Lead oxidizes when exposed to the air, forming that familiar “white” chalky look, that most of us are familiar with. This chalky look is actually lead salts that are leaching out of the bullets. 

You are correct that lead leaching into the water is not a good thing. Even though lead oxidizes in water, versus air or the ground, at a far slower rate, it still can occur.