Endler unidentified illness; unresponsive to maracyn

Jawjagrrl

I've got a 5gal planted tank that has been set up for 9 months with no issues until recently. A plakat betta, two male endlers, seven chili rasboras, a nerite snail plus numerous bladder and ramshorn snails. 

The only change is the removal of duckweed to replace with some red root floaters I had QTd in another tank for two weeks- it later developed BGA in the QT and in a new setup I had to treat. No sign of BGA in this tank, but the betta and one of the endlers started acting lethargic and less interested in eating after the new floaters were added.

I am on day 8 after 7 days of maracyn. Which I chose based on some slight signs of fin rot on the betta and gill irritation on the endler (which had also lost all color). The betta seems fine now and the rasboras never showed any signs of illness, nor did the other endler. But this endler may be a goner 😞 he looked a lot better on day 3, but seems to be declining. This is the first day I have observed him not swimming level 100% of the time. He has regained some color.

20220508_092411.jpg.74cc2cdd0de5675c2be6bb2ce6031968.jpg

20220508_092712.jpg.3c7f22f1b31a82f54d6c5dcbce6bf5a7.jpg

20220508_092507.jpg.4d562830c87dbd5e88b2dc4435187b7d.jpg

I had thought gill flukes because of his breathing and swollen gill area. Should I consider paraclense? Was planning a big water change today as per the maracyn instructions.

Water parameters:

Temp: 78

Ph: 7.1

Gh: 300+

Kh: 80

Nitrates: 10ppm or less

Ammonia, chlorine, nitrites: 0ppm

Thanks for any advice. I've kept fish for a long time and this is actually the first illness I've had. I stocked the med trio recently, so I have that on hand.

Salt is your friend with livebearers. I realize you have a planted tank, but a small amount of salt should be tolerated by the plants. Around a tablespoon per 5 gallons. 

Kanaplex would also be good med to try as well, if you can get a hold of it. If the endler is still eating, you can mix it into the food, as that is the most direct way to get it in. 

Paracleanse is more for internal parasites, ad I don't think it would be as applicable here. 

On 5/8/2022 at 3:45 PM, quikv6 said:

Salt is your friend with livebearers. I realize you have a planted tank, but a small amount of salt should be tolerated by the plants. Around a tablespoon per 5 gallons. 

Kanaplex would also be good med to try as well, if you can get a hold of it. If the endler is still eating, you can mix it into the food, as that is the most direct way to get it in. 

Paracleanse is more for internal parasites, ad I don't think it would be as applicable here. 

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I did a full gallon water change after my OP, and it seems to have perked him up some. I don't mind trying a light salt dose, it was my go-to with my Africans, which is mostly why I've never had to medicate before.

Any thoughts as to what the little guy might have in terms of a diagnosis? 

The pics are quite blurry, and it is tough to tell. There's a possibility of swim bladder (in which case Epsom salt baths can help), but Kanaplex is a broad spectrum med for various bacterial (and some fungal) illnesses, so it is a good "go-to" in addition to salt.