Guppy help

Dingokevin

Trying to setup a guppy tank for my son (he's 3). I have kept angles, cichlid, rams, and others. But for the life of me I can't keep them thriving.  They go stro g foe a week or more some even drop fri. But in the end they die off. Tank is well established heavily panted and water quality is great.  Yes I test it. Any ideas? 

20220423_183526.jpg

store bought guppies can be tough to keep alive. usually if you can get a store bought guppy past 3 weeks, then you got good ones. hard to tell, but if those red things i see in that tank are shrimp, and you are keeping them alive, its for sure the guppies themselves. sometimes its the fish are weak, sometimes it is the water they were raised in compared to yours.  im told many breeders will raise them in mildly brackish water, and the transition to pure fresh water too fast can be hard on them.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, lefty o said:

store bought guppies can be tough to keep alive. usually if you can get a store bought guppy past 3 weeks, then you got good ones. hard to tell, but if those red things i see in that tank are shrimp, and you are keeping them alive, its for sure the guppies themselves. sometimes its the fish are weak, sometimes it is the water they were raised in compared to yours.  im told many breeders will raise them in mildly brackish water, and the transition to pure fresh water too fast can be hard on them.

Thanks yeah store bought.  Cori cats are spawning, shrimp are out of control.  I guess I will hope the hand full of fry will make it and start the community.  If any one is in San Diego and has some strong guppies let me know.  Thank you again.