Florida Flagfish question

Native Keeper

I have a pair, 1 male and 1 female, and I have not seen any problems. I have read that adding a second female would give some respite from the male's affections. I think having 2 males would require a larger tank with broken sight lines such that each male could stake out some territory. 

I do not remember who, but someone here reported some aggressive behavior towards other tankmates.

• Like 1

Hey, think I can add my question here: 

I have a tank at my work desk (as part of going back to the office) and it is the 15 Gallon Aqueon Column Tank with no heater (13" x 13" x 19" and temp is kept at 70f in my office) with lots of anubias, a huge amazon sword, watersprite, and water lettuce. I'd like hardy fish so I'm thinking a solo female FFF (so a FFFF? 😄) and 5 to 7 longfin white clouds. Thoughts on this stocking combination?

On 4/25/2022 at 12:20 PM, Tombeaux said:

Hey, think I can add my question here: 

I have a tank at my work desk (as part of going back to the office) and it is the 15 Gallon Aqueon Column Tank with no heater (13" x 13" x 19" and temp is kept at 70f in my office) with lots of anubias, a huge amazon sword, watersprite, and water lettuce. I'd like hardy fish so I'm thinking a solo female FFF (so a FFFF? 😄) and 5 to 7 longfin white clouds. Thoughts on this stocking combination?

I personally wouldn't recommend that combo, flagfish are bad fin-nippers and a 15 gal. Column tank really doesn't leave much room for the white clouds to escape. If you're dead set on the flagfish, I'd suggest one of the short finned types of white cloud, or bluefin killifish.

@Tombeaux, If it weren't for what @L_goodei200 said, then I'd say it's fine, but y'know...

maybe look into Elassoma, another nano coldwater centerpiece fish. If they're anything like regular sunfish, they'll do fine with the White Clouds.

Or you could just do the White Clouds by themselves and get like ten of em, which would be the best and least risky option.