Am I Ready to Start EG or RT?

This is my tank I've had running for about 20 years now. March 16th, I re-scaped it and added the live plants. It's a heavily stocked tank and usually sits around 40ppm Nitrates so I haven't added any fertilizers yet. It also has an UGF ran by two powerheads so it gets lots of flow from the water columns through the substrate. 

IMG_1882.JPG.23830d11456f5b27d857d382339a22d6.JPG

Scarlet Temple melted and the fish were also nipping it so I have bare stems left. It was fun while it lasted but I don't know if it will survive the nippers. The Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus has some great new growth as well as the Red Melon Sword and my Crypts -- all have sprouted new leaves. Java Ferns are growing and looking great. Anubias is being Anubias and I haven't noticed any change in it yet. I just added Water Sprite, Aponogeton Crispus and a Tiger Lotus.

7678EC05-F5A8-42AF-8573-C38833841766.JPG.ffabbaa8b71af3c0250cb988001b4712.JPG

2074852439_IMG_18372.JPG.bccb9b47c78c7c9e5c4b6755ab8c42e4.JPG

I do have one Crypt that I have noticed the new growth is coming in lighter with darker veins so I'm wondering if this is a potassium deficiency and if I should start dosing EG to the tank. They are also on the edge of the UGF plate, so I could also add some RTs to the substrate in front of the UGF in this area.

1346740993_IMG_18382.JPG.6c21df058017d40f343cc9676ef51180.JPG

Water Parameters:

• Ammonia 0ppm
  • Nitrite 0ppm
  • Nitrate 20ppm (was 40ppm before water change)
  • Phosphate 2-5ppm (before water change)
  • 7°KH, 17°GH (I've been doing frequent, small water changes to get my KH back up to my tap water, which is 7°KH)

Hygger 957 Light Schedule:

• 7am-10am - 20%
  • 10am-12pm - 80%
  • 12pm-3pm - 100%
  • 3pm-5pm - 80%
  • 5pm-8pm - 20%
  • At this point, it seems my lights get stuck at 20% until 9-10pm, when I manually turn them off. I need to figure out what is messed up in the programming, since it's supposed to reduce to 10% and turn off by 10pm.

I have had diatoms since a week or two after I re-scaped but that is reduced and now I'm getting some GSA back in the tank. 

Should I start dosing EG or do some RTs?

Edited by AndreaW

On 4/4/2022 at 7:02 PM, AndreaW said:

Also, another question: Where would you plant the Tiger Lotus in this tank? It's currently rolling around in the back center, but I'm not sure where to put it if it sends leaves up to the surface? Any opinions?

Where did you plant your PSO, as it will get big if you let it. Also the Red Melon Sword and Aponogeton Crispus can get big. Do you want to layer these taller plants to get contrasts against one another as leaves peek out or you view at different angles, or do you want a wall of plants covering the back?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 6:56 PM, AndreaW said:

It's a heavily stocked tank and usually sits around 40ppm Nitrates so I haven't added any fertilizers yet.

I do have one Crypt that I have noticed the new growth is coming in lighter with darker veins so I'm wondering if this is a potassium deficiency and if I should start dosing EG to the tank.

Should I start dosing EG or do some RTs?

I have been dosing Easy Green from the start on my current tanks. I started with the lower dose, and have just recently increased. Just watch to see the algae increases too.

• Love 1

On 4/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, Widgets said:

Where did you plant your PSO, as it will get big if you let it. Also the Red Melon Sword and Aponogeton Crispus can get big. Do you want to layer these taller plants to get contrasts against one another as leaves peek out or you view at different angles, or do you want a wall of plants covering the back?

Val is in very back right corner surrounded by the PSO. The Red Melon Sword is in front of that on the right side of the large rock/driftwood.

There is some PSO in the right back corner along with Java Fern to cover the uplift tube and give the Pleco some cover.

I would like some greenery along the back wall, but more height to the right. I think variety and contrast would be nice. I will also have a majority of the water flow along the back wall, but I plan on reducing it a lot.

@Patrick_G ~ Thank you! Should I start with 1 pump per 10G 1x a week, since I'm not necessarily dosing up to 30ppm?