african cichlid stocking question

Mahi27

hi all,

i loved the recent blog post on top 10 cichlids for 20-29gal tanks: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-10-cichlids

i've really wanted to keep shell dwellers, julidochromis, and leleupi for a while now. what are people's thoughts on keeping these three species in one tank together? Would I do better to bump up to 40 or 55gal? Most importantly -- this would be my first african cichlid tank. Should I pump the brakes a bit and start with fewer species?

I do tend to go off the deep end when I get an idea!

Any input welcome.

Imo all three together in anything less than a 55 would be difficult as they can be quite territorial especially when breeding (which In my experience they do quite readily with good water conditions, I don't keep them anymore for this reason as found it hard to find a home for them). You will need to have plenty of line of sight breaks as well. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, @Intuos. It is as I suspected. I hope this short thread ends up helping someone else as well, lol. 

I will definitely be getting some Leleupi at some point because my mother is enamored of their beautiful yellow color. But I will keep them alone. 🙂