Safest way to keep aquarium(s) in an apartment

Karen B.

Greetings Nerms!

So I am a very anxious person. 
I live in an old apartment, first floor, with real wood flooring.

I have 7 aquariums- just bought the latest, a 30 gallons. And everyone around me keep saying it’s a lot and predict a catastrophy.

All my aquariums (30g, 20g, 3 x 10g and 5g) were bought new. And are on furniture specially made for aquarium except my 30 gallons - I bought an industrial shelf but as the aquarium was a tiny bit bigger around, I put a 3/4 sheet of plywood on top of the shelf.

My landlord knows, he approved each of them. I phoned my insurance and I am covered. However I was wondering if there was any other things I could do to reduce the risk of flooding my living room, or damaging the floor, etc. I hear so many horror stories of aquariums leaking…

My current setup :

995F1CB5-9FB3-4026-A1B1-467E857E909C.jpeg.67af6854bf7f995959532de5b035572c.jpeg

8B6D2EEB-5597-49D1-8236-B9F04B7763F9.jpeg.2ba37ec4ee627af915cf8d39098440d5.jpeg

Soon the 20 gallon will move and replace one of the 10 gallons on the other side. And the 10 gallons will be placed under the 20 (on a plywood sheet) and my new 30 gallons will move to where the 20 was, on this shelf, on top of which I will add a slightly bigger plywood sheet (shelf is 36 inch, aquarium is like 36,75’’)

8E2CFBBA-2D61-4BA1-806C-558BDDDAE9D1.jpeg.387eb988da3b6f76b1246e750eeae68a.jpeg

Thank you!

Edited by Karen B.

I would move the billiards table to a different room. Those wayward balls can do a lot of damage. 😄

You say that the landlord approved each of the tanks, and that your insurance confirmed that you are covered. I would want to get those statements in writing just in case. You may get a new landlord or management company and having documentation may help grandfather them even if they are not allowed under new rules.

If the tanks are all level and on sufficient stands, I see a few areas for caution.

1. Ensure that any airlines that extend over the side of the tank and down have check valves in the section above the waterline. 

2. I would be very careful not to get distracted during water changes when you are siphoning water out of the tank. I might also use a transfer pump to fill the tank instead of pouring from a bucket. It is easy to slip and miss the tank. I might even use a large wheel around trash can instead of buckets, so there is less chance of sloshing around.

3. Any HOB filters should be tilted slightly towards the tank to hopefully force any overflow to drain back into the tank.

4. I am not sure what you can do to protect a canister filter. Maybe place it in a bin or tray such that small spills might be contained. 

• Like 1

@Widgets has some great advice above. In my experience, a slow leak can do more damage than a quick leak because if it goes unnoticed, you have warping and mold issues.

1. Make sure you have drip loops on all your cords.
  2. If you think your water is evaporating quicker than usual -- it probably is, so find out what is happening. I've had super slow leaks happen when calcium builds up on the heater cord and wicked moisture down the cord. The carpet never felt wet, but there was just a slight dampness.
  3. Make sure you have a stack of towels handy, especially when doing maintenance.
  • Like 2

Beautiful tanks.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, Karen B. said:

8B6D2EEB-5597-49D1-8236-B9F04B7763F9.jpeg.2ba37ec4ee627af915cf8d39098440d5.jpeg

It may just be the angle of the picture, but these tanks look to off level a bit. There is probably a slightly increased pressure on the lower side compared to the higher side. This could ever so slightlt increase the risk of leaks. I have read that flat is way more important than level, and to be honest, my tanks all have a similar tilt front t to back.

All my aquariums (30g, 20g, 3 x 10g and 5g) were bought new. And are on furniture specially made for aquarium except my 30 gallons - I bought an industrial shelf but as the aquarium was a tiny bit bigger around, I put a 3/4 sheet of plywood on top of the shelf.

Soon the 20 gallon will move and replace one of the 10 gallons on the other side. And the 10 gallons will be placed under the 20 (on a plywood sheet) and my new 30 gallons will move to where the 20 was, on this shelf, on top of which I will add a slightly bigger plywood sheet (shelf is 36 inch, aquarium is like 36,75’’)

8E2CFBBA-2D61-4BA1-806C-558BDDDAE9D1.jpeg.387eb988da3b6f76b1246e750eeae68a.jpeg

Pardon my French, but that looks like a particle board shelf. You said you used plywood over the shelf. I would discard the particle board and replace it with plywood too. Over time, even small water exposure can destroy the integrity of the particle board.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, Widgets said:

Beautiful tanks.

It may just be the angle of the picture, but these tanks look to off level a bit. There is probably a slightly increased pressure on the lower side compared to the higher side. This could ever so slightlt increase the risk of leaks. I have read that flat is way more important than level, and to be honest, my tanks all have a similar tilt front t to back.

Pardon my French, but that looks like a particle board shelf. You said you used plywood over the shelf. I would discard the particle board and replace it with plywood too. Over time, even small water exposure can destroy the integrity of the particle board.

I wrap my plywood and will with the particle board in some plastic liner to make even more sure mo water will damage them!

thanks for all the advices and suggestions 

• Like 1