Fertz and Cory's bomb statement!

In one of Cory's videos he mentioned if mixing the wrong fertilizers in the wrong order you make a bomb (which im always nervous about 🤣)! I'm assuming he ment mixing the dry chemicals, am I correct in thinking this? As of now im supplementing my all in ones (I have wayyyy too many at this stage of the game) with an extra squirt of iron here, a pinch of potassium there and a dash of nitrogen there. With my only real concern of adding too many nitrates for the live stock. Is there anything else I should be concerned with by doing this, Other than creating an algea outbreak? 

Hi @JoeQ

lol, if Cory is talking about mixing different fertilizers in a tank in the wrong order it will certainly NOT make a bomb!  However if we dose certain types of iron (there are several) at the same time we are dosing phosphates the iron and phosphate can combine to create iron phosphate (FePO4) which is insoluble compound and will make both nutrients unavailable to the plants.  -Roy

• Thanks 1

Thanks roy, ill start paying attention to the iron/phosphate issue. That statement just makes me laugh every time I supplement my all in ones. Its at about 1h5m in this video, start it at 1h4m for context. 

Cory was talking about the manufacturer mixing the chemicals at the factory. Not mixing the retail product in the aquarium.

Since Easy Green contains ammonia and nitrite, mixing the compounds at the factory in the incorrect order can produce the volatile chemical calcium ammonium nitrate.

You won't have this problem in your aquarium.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, Greg Stewart said:

Cory was talking about the manufacturer mixing the chemicals at the factory. Not mixing the retail product in the aquarium.

Since Easy Green contains ammonia and nitrite, mixing the compounds at the factory in the incorrect order can produce the volatile chemical calcium ammonium nitrate.

You won't have this problem in your aquarium.

I was pretty sure that was his intention but it still always crosses my mind when fertilizing! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣