Diamond Tetra Breeding?!

Jdogtrainer

I've been suspecting my new Diamond Tetras (purchase last weekend from the CO-OP) might be displaying some breeding behaviors. Chasing and a male (assumed sex by fin characteristics) corralling a female (again assumed), and the males displaying and sparring, as well as rubbing on plants.

So tonight I saw a male with a female in a corner next to the subwassertang and he was displaying to her and he began vibrating his body violently. It made me laugh! He did this over and over. So is this breeding behaviors or just some weird social thing?

• Love 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:58 PM, Jdogtrainer said:

I've been suspecting my new Diamond Tetras (purchase last weekend from the CO-OP) might be displaying some breeding behaviors. Chasing and a male (assumed sex by fin characteristics) corralling a female (again assumed), and the males displaying and sparring, as well as rubbing on plants.

So tonight I saw a male with a female in a corner next to the subwassertang and he was displaying to her and he began vibrating his body violently. It made me laugh! He did this over and over. So is this breeding behaviors or just some weird social thing?

I can't wait to see this with tetras and diamonds are on my list! Have you seen issues with aggression at all? 

My endler male got some new ladies last week and is behaving the same way, but they aren't quite mature enough yet. He will get one in a corner and shimmy-shake 🙂 his dorsal goes bolt upright too! Maybe you're on your way to babies 🙂

• Thanks 1

Definitely breeding. My diamond tetras do this... pretty much every other day. They are prolific breeders and have doubled their numbers even in a community tank. Diamond tetras are so beautiful and so much fun. When they get to be fully grown and grow their school (via breeding LOL), they really are such a stunner in a planted tank. They were my first fish when I got started with planted tanks, and they're so special to me for that reason. I love them dearly.

• Love 1