How to disinfect canister filter from diseased tank

Cassandra

I recently purchased a tank from someone off of craigslist along with several fish and a canister filter. Well all the fish are diseased and most of them have died (dropsy). I have the remaining fish in a hospital tank and I got rid of the tank. I would still like to salvage the filter. What is the best way to sanitize the filter? I was thinking of running a strong bleach water solution through the filter. And then follow it up with water treated with a large dose of treatment to remove the chlorine. 

Thoughts? Thanks. 

I think that would work; I would recommend a diluted solution (not straight bleach.) But I think you could also get away with rinsing in regular tap water and leaving it out to dry completely. Anything that can infect an aquarium will likely die once dried out. I believe Cory said in one of the livestreams that he rinses and allows nets to dry as a method of disinfecting and he hasn't had an issue.

• Thanks 1

If you need the filter right away for an uninfected tank, you could break it down and clean it with bleach mixture but you need to make sure that you rinse it very well. If you're looking to use it on the hospital tank, then you'll be dosing it at the same time, just make sure to remove the carbon. If it isn't going onto anything right now, I'd probably just clean it with water and let it dry out.