Cycle tank

DAWGMAN

Getting my 40g breeder planted tank ready, been running 3 weeks now. Started with some plants and snails, water test have been spot on every day. Today Nitrite was up a smigg , Nitrate was in the middle range of ok. So I did and ammonia test .25 So I did a water change. Anything else I should do? Thanks 

If you’re adding fertilizer it with nitrogen it will raise your Nitrates. If that’s the case I’d say you’re right in the middle of the cycling process. 
If you’re not adding any fertilizer then I’d say you have a complete but not robust cycle. I’d wait until you have zero ammonia and nitrite for a few days before adding a few fish. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:28 AM, DAWGMAN said:

Yes I’m using Easy Green, and put in root tabs at the start when I put in plants

You should soon see your ammonia drop to zero as nitrite rises, the nitrite will drop to zero and you’re ready to add fish. Many people say that you don’t change water at this point because the beneficial bacteria are feeding on the ammonia and nitrite in the water column. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, DAWGMAN said:

Didn’t think there was much in the water, itself? But ok sounds good to me, I’ll keep an eye on it and 🤞🏻Thanks 

People say there isn't any in the water but there is, there's just a lot more on surfaces. You can actually speed your cycle by just adding old aquarium water to a new tank. But the main reason for not changing water during a cycle is that the bacteria, especially the nitrite oxidizers, are extremely sensitive to almost any slight change in water parameters when the population is young. They toughen up over time though.