What are you currently reading?

jwcarlson

On 9/27/2024 at 2:54 PM, clownbaby said:

Mainly classic stories. Big fan of stories like Wizard of Oz, Gulliver's Travels, Jungle Book, Treasure Island, Hardy Boys, etc. Also enjoy political fiction, Orwell and the like. Enjoy poetry as well. Not a huge fan of sci-fi. I like fantasy under some circumstances. Historical fiction is good too. I like most nonfiction, but if I am unfamiliar with the topic it shouldn't be too too complex lol. 

I am a pretty strong reader. I am not too picky overall, just not sci fi I guess!

I know you said you're not a big sci-fi fan, but you might give David Weber a try.  He's heavily into building societies in his books, and they often have religious backgrounds that influence the societies to one degree or another (no particular religion we would recognize though, for the most part).  Some of his series also have quite a bit of historical context, such as sailing ships and primitive firearms.

On 9/27/2024 at 10:19 PM, clownbaby said:

Do NOT cancel me for this but I hated the movies (way too long for me, didnt get it, just didnt like it) so I have always been turned off to the books. Would you say the books are better than the movies, if so, what is the biggest difference?

I own this book as well! Great manual for aquarium plants.

YES! I ADORED this book omg. Very dystopian. A teacher recommended it to me after 1984. I had to take a break from dystopia books after that hahaha 

I just remembered this book, which I loved and highly recommend. Its called Shadowmen by Anthony Napoleon, it goes through history showing how societies have been constantly controlled by 'Shadowmen' through subliminal messanges and social engineering.

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Men-Encyclopedia-Mind-Control-ebook/dp/B015D5W0EA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=19BRB8PIOA2RJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.TRSkcg9kaZhxVakR-epkS1VERLSb31bP7nvd18720b90pv7GtNgM5wCEPX4bV9pPXtI8XEdRt6QoRFHpBE-_kI5V1c4EL-1cEncqcV_tKDD9-TAj-ZL5tTq5QusKDHYYApCK2qeEBiRPU8-0x_-5WiDh5zZCXrvdrIgT-jjZJyWBcCYyz7zvHqsQjQUqigdrCgAAKLwWaA_LOLThjMFLaw.Y9czrxllTJX2l63muFeUhH8U567kkplThmWdEyjPgao&dib_tag=se&keywords=shadow+men+anthony+napoleon&qid=1728063263&sprefix=Shadow+men%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-1

Edited by JoeQ
  • Love 1

On 9/28/2024 at 2:58 PM, Retrophyllum_minus said:

Try "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin sometime. If you want to read another dystopian novel.  

We was excellent.

@clownbaby I know you said you don't like scifi, but give Kurt Vonnegut a shot.  Extremely readable after something like Beowulf, funny, profound.  If you like Mark Twain or Douglas Adams you'll like Vonnegut.  Or read anything by any of them, assuming you haven't already.  Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Hitchhiker's Guide, or the Dirk Gently series.