New Tank - Algae! also a weird foam

I have a new tank (set up 3 days ago) and today I noticed algae on the hardscape.  Also, an excessive amount of foam on the surface.  I don't know if I should do something or do nothing?  I am starting a fishless cycle because I plan to transfer fry from the existing tank into the new tank once it's cycled and I am afraid to put them into the new tank until I am sure it's a healthy environment for them.  I'm attached the the fish, they have names!

This is my second fish tank. The first one was a 10 gallon kit (for an 8 yr old) and we killed a dozen fish in the first few weeks.  I am very much a beginner.

Here are the details:

• Started cycle with Fritzzyme and fish flakes
  • 20 Gallon High, Tidal 35 HOB & small sponge filter with air stone
  • light: None, the light I ordered is somewhere in flyover country according to UPS (some natural light, but no direct light)
  • plants: water sprite, dwarf sagittaria, crypt, hydrocotyle tripartia, s repens, java fern, anubias x2, expecting a bacopa to arrive tomorrow.

Parameters: 

• Yesterday (day 2):  Ammonia 1 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates 0 ppm
  • Today: Ammonia (day 3)  .5 ppm, Nitrites .5pmm, Nitrates 5 ppm                 

20220131_085056.jpg

20220131_085018.jpg

Edited by PaigeIs

On 1/31/2022 at 9:31 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Do nothing, keep the ammonia up and top the tank up when needed. If there are no plants in the tank right now, turn the light off.

Thanks...  there are plants in the tank. I planted them thinking the light would arrive today.   I am hoping they don't die before the light arrives, but I am also hoping the algae does die.  hmmmm...  need to think about my moral compass.  😛

• Like 1

Take a sponge (or some filter media) from the existing tank and put in the Tidal filer of the new tank... cycled. 

Keep testing but if your getting nitrates and ammonia goes to zero, your good. Considering its only been a couple days you've got a pretty advanced cycle getting nitrates on day 3. I'm assuming that the plants are already in the tank then? Thats why your cycle in fast forward. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:38 AM, ScottieB said:

Take a sponge (or some filter media) from the existing tank and put in the Tidal filer of the new tank... cycled. 

Keep testing but if your getting nitrates and ammonia goes to zero, your good. Considering its only been a couple days you've got a pretty advanced cycle getting nitrates on day 3. I'm assuming that the plants are already in the tank then? Thats why your cycle in fast forward. 

Thanks, I put some filter floss in the old aquarium to clean up the water, I'll put it into the new HOB.

• Like 1