Aquarium Co Op Net Recommendations

Bettakeeper86

I am trying to put together a shopping list and would like to know what my best options would be in regards to the aquarium co-op nets. I am building an out door fish room with a 110 gallon pond ( moderate to heavy planted), a 20 long quarantine tank, a 20 long breeding tank ( moderate planted), two 10 gal grow out tanks, and two 5 gal tanks. I plan on keeping bristle nose plecos, corydoras, guppies, rosy red minnows, and cherry shrimp. I know that there are many factors that are involve such as fish size, tank size, volumes of plants, and I am a little lost on which nests might be best. Also would the nano net work for brine shrimp?

• Like 1

Wow, sounds like a great build! I’m sure we would all love to follow your progress.

I remember live stream not that long ago someone asked Cory about nets and his response was based on what your doing with it. For catching a huge amount of fish at once a large size with a strong handle can sweep them up indiscriminately. If your trying to pull fry out or grab an individual fish then a smaller size with long handle might be better. 

The Aquarium Coop ones with carbon fiber handle comes in 4 sizes. I would imagine the small and the large would fit most needs. 

I also remember seeing Cory’s indoor ponds with paint strainers floating on the top as a way to separate fish like pregnant guppies? A neat idea and prob a good thing to have in a fishroom. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:58 PM, ScottieB said:

Wow, sounds like a great build! I’m sure we would all love to follow your progress.

I remember live stream not that long ago someone asked Corey about nets and his response was based on what your doing with it. For catching a huge amount of fish at once a large size with a strong handle can sweep them up indiscriminately. If your trying to pull fry out or grab an individual fish then a smaller size with long handle might be better. 

The Aquarium Coop ones with carbon fiber handle comes in 4 sizes. I would imagine the small and the large would fit most needs. 

I also remember seeing Corey’s indoor ponds with paint strainers floating on the top as a way to separate fish like pregnant guppies? A neat idea and prob a good thing to have in a fishroom. 

Thank you for the info. I will definitely share my progress as I go.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 6:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

Nano and small for the 10 small and medium for the 20 medium and large/extra large (not sure how big coop sells I use n,s,m) for pond 

they will not strain brine shrimp you need a micron artemia sieve for those available on Amazon. 

Thank you

On 1/26/2022 at 8:17 AM, Bettakeeper86 said:

I am trying to put together a shopping list and would like to know what my best options would be in regards to the aquarium co-op nets. I am building an out door fish room with a 110 gallon pond ( moderate to heavy planted), a 20 long quarantine tank, a 20 long breeding tank ( moderate planted), two 10 gal grow out tanks, and two 5 gal tanks. I plan on keeping bristle nose plecos, corydoras, guppies, rosy red minnows, and cherry shrimp. I know that there are many factors that are involve such as fish size, tank size, volumes of plants, and I am a little lost on which nests might be best. Also would the nano net work for brine shrimp?

My experience has been that plecos get caught in nets - not fun.  For baby plecos I use an old betta cup to catch them.  For big plecos, I try to pick them up when they are in a cave, or I use a plastic cup about the size of a 32 oz jar, but with a more straight neck (one from a gas station soda is a good size).  These aren't traditional shopping list items, but I find them invaluable.  For nets, I like one about 3 x 4 and a small one.  I've never had reason to use a really big one because I don't sell my fish.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 8:22 PM, 1moretank said:

My experience has been that plecos get caught in nets - not fun.  For baby plecos I use an old betta cup to catch them.  For big plecos, I try to pick them up when they are in a cave, or I use a plastic cup about the size of a 32 oz jar, but with a more straight neck (one from a gas station soda is a good size).  These aren't traditional shopping list items, but I find them invaluable.  For nets, I like one about 3 x 4 and a small one.  I've never had reason to use a really big one because I don't sell my fish.

Good luck.

Thank you, I didn’t know that plecos got caught in the nets.