Expel-P question

OnlyGenusCaps

So, I've just added Expel-P to...  Well, all of my tanks with fish.  I've not used the product before.  Seems pretty straight forward, expect tomorrow when I am supposed to do a 25% water change it says I am supposed to take care to remove any expelled parasites.  Now, how am I supposed to do that if they are tiny?  I can't imagine I'm going to see large tapeworms that have come out of tiny fish.  Are they just telling me to siphon the substrate?  Is there something special I need to do?  If anyone has experience with this, please do let me know.  Thanks!

On 1/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, I've just added Expel-P to...  Well, all of my tanks with fish.  I've not used the product before.  Seems pretty straight forward, expect tomorrow when I am supposed to do a 25% water change it says I am supposed to take care to remove any expelled parasites.  Now, how am I supposed to do that if they are tiny?  I can't imagine I'm going to see large tapeworms that have come out of tiny fish.  Are they just telling me to siphon the substrate?  Is there something special I need to do?  If anyone has experience with this, please do let me know.  Thanks!

I've used levamisole for two separate camallanus infections. I had 2-year-old adult acaras, parrots and severums just dropping dead daily as I tried and failed with the other, more commonly used meds. I never saw the worms protruding, nothing visible until they died and only then, displayed what looked like septicemia.

A single dose of levamisole coupled with 1tbps/10g of Epsom salts and 4 hours later it looked like I spilled an entire pack of bloodworms into the tank!

I found new worms for 3 days straight. Just to reduce the odds any were still alive in the tank. I vacuumed daily during this treatment. I did the identical treatment as the instruction on the Expel product states. But I had to run it 2X before I saw no more worms. I ran it a 3rd time or 3X in 3 weeks that is. It was very effective, and I didn't lose any more fish after the first treatment. 

Others will know more than I do but supposedly it paralyzes the worms but does not kill them. And I definitely saw another round of worms expelled after the 2nd treatment. The 3rd run is really about killing eggs. And my paranoia. The only adverse effect I experienced was they lose their appetites during the initial treatment but otherwise, it's a great drug. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1