Water Parameters:

• pH 7.8
  • Nitrates 20
  • Hardness 16dkh
  • Nitrite .25 (recovering from crash)
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 12
  • Water Temperature79-80F

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is a severe prolapse. I'm going to get a bucket going with epsom salt. I'm sure with a case this severe that nothing will help her but I'm going to try.

Original: I don't know what is happening to this female or if I can save her from this but figured someone may know what the heck happened here.

I had her in a breeder box for a week and did notice that she had quite strange shaped poo's that were wide, bubus and short. Looked like they must have been hard to pass, I mean. She was eating fine, looked very pregnant, but I released her back into the tank after she didn't have babies for a week of being in the breeder.

Then yesterday evening during my routine I noticed that she had a round bulge protruding from her anus/urogenital opening. This morning it's much worse and she's beginning to pinecone. She looks awful and miserable. She's not using her left pelvic fin and it's clamped to her side.

20220114_100328.jpg.c1c12b8e3e2a6f8835742fa81650511a.jpg

See the linked folder for more photos and videos. Since this is the most graphic thing I've had happen to a fish I didn't want to post all of the content here. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16-XzmSoVU9mrlgAWzH7uRPmmoNegDhT9?usp=sharing

Edited by Minanora
Did an abundance of googling

On 1/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, Colu said:

Epsom salt baths are the best treatment for a prolapse 1 table spoon for 2 gallons 2-3 times a day for now more than 15 minutes as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant so will help your fish reabsorb the prolapse 

Thank you Colu. As I feared, with how severe it was, she didn't even make it through my conference call. T^T

I'd never had a fish with a prolapse before. Now I have. I'm so upset, I now only have one of this strain left and I have no idea if I have babies from them to continue their line. 😞 But, to be honest, if they're having so many health issues maybe it's just how it should be. As of now I've given up on my Blue Dragon strain for now. If I have any babies from them, I'll revitalize their blood with a group from a different breeder. But I likely won't do this due to the time it would take to bring the line to stability. I just don't have the space for it. Though I would like to. All depends on if we move or not at this point.

• Sad 1