Betta fish laying on bottom for days. Please help.

MatthewBetta

For the past few days my betta (that I’ve had for about 4 months now )started acting funny by sitting on the bottom of the tank and only coming to the surface to breathe every once in a while. He has hardly eaten. I tried the boiled pea method, assuming that he’s constipated, but didn’t seem to work as he still just sits. This only started 4 days ago. Water has never given me an issue and has been fine on feeder when I’ve gone on trips in the past but now he’s doing this with no explanation. What should I do next? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Anything else in the tank? 

Does he look constipated?   Or just assumed?

Just fyi... Bettas aren't much for peas.  Typically a fast is good enough for constipation as long as there isn't any underlying issue. That's from my personal experience.  Not scientific.   

Look at his fins if they look healthy. His shape from the top view if there's no pineconing or bloat.   His scales for anything abnormal.  His eyes. His mouth. 

If you don't see outward signs of illness, it could be stress for some reason. Warm temps and an Indian Almond Leaf can help with that.  

On 1/10/2022 at 9:27 PM, MatthewBetta said:

Water has never given me an issue

Does that mean you tested the water? 

Edited by Gideyon
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:03 PM, Gideyon said:

Anything else in the tank? 

Does he look constipated?   Or just assumed?

Just fyi... Bettas aren't much for peas.  Typically a fast is good enough for constipation as long as there isn't any underlying issue. That's from my personal experience.  Not scientific.   

Look at his fins if they look healthy. His shape from the top view if there's no pineconing or bloat.   His scales for anything abnormal.  His eyes. His mouth. 

If you don't see outward signs of illness, it could be stress for some reason. Warm temps and an Indian Almond Leaf can help with that.  

Does that mean you tested the water? 

Yeah I determined it wasn’t constipation after the pea didn’t work. Nothing else in tank besides to leaf hammocks. His fins look normal, his shape looks normal, his scales look normal, as does everything else externally. I honestly don’t know what is causing this behavior. It has to be internally.

Can you post some water parameters? You can try a bit of salt to see if he perks up. And as for food, I have had good luck with Bloodworms soaked in Garlic Guard when trying to get a fish to eat. That may be worth a shot, if you haven't tried it already.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:29 PM, MatthewBetta said:

It has to be internally

Not necessarily. 

But I'd first test the water.   Make sure there's no ammonia or very high nitrates.  

Things that could stress him out maybe a drastic temperature change.  Change in environment (even things outside of the tank). pH swing. 

Double check your water temp.  Make sure the heater didn't die on you. 

If the water is warm and clean, put an Indian Almond leaf inside.   What I do is boil it for a few minutes. Let the water in pot cool down, and put it in the tank with the leaf.  It speeds up tannins in the water.  Your water will brown a little (or a lot) but it's good for him. 

Edited by Gideyon