Angel fish not eating

Krish

One of my platinum angel fish seem to not eat and is getting skinny. It get excited for food and comes up when I drop some but I don't know why he isn't eating any.

What do I need to do on this.

All other fish in the tank are doing well.

Kindly advise me on this

How long have you had him? Can you test the water and post the parameters?

Have you seen him poop? If it looks stringy, or maybe kind of white and almost jello-y, he could have some internal parasites. Usually you'd see other fish presenting the same symptoms, too, though.

Is the other Angelfish in the tank beating up on him at all?

On 1/2/2022 at 10:35 PM, Chris said:

How long have you had him? Can you test the water and post the parameters?

Have you seen him poop? If it looks stringy, or maybe kind of white and almost jello-y, he could have some internal parasites. Usually you'd see other fish presenting the same symptoms, too, though.

Is the other Angelfish in the tank beating up on him at all?

Yeah actually all other angel fish are doing fine 

He isn't been beaten up by another other fish in the tank

And I haven't seen him poop yet. 

But he is skinny than any other angel in the tank

On 1/2/2022 at 12:13 PM, Krish said:

Yeah actually all other angel fish are doing fine 

He isn't been beaten up by another other fish in the tank

And I haven't seen him poop yet. 

But he is skinny than any other angel in the tank

How long have you had him, and can you post your water parameters?

Was he eating and healthy when you first got him, or did he stop eating at some point whenever you got him home?

It sounds like it could possibly be internal parasites, but there's not a ton of info to go on.

In my very small experience of 4 angelfish, I've struggled the most with platinums eating.  No idea if it's actually a "thing" but kind of an interesting coincidence.  The first one I had was a half-dollar size from a small fish store, and he absolutely refused to eat anything--flakes, pellets, frozen, live.  Would sometimes take a mouthful and then spit it back out.  He died after about a week and a half.  I think it may have been an issue with adapting to parameters, but I'm not sure.

The next ones I bought as adults from a breeder who breeds in rock hard water like what we have.  They all ate, but it took the platinum one about a week before he'd eat anything.  He ended up getting bullied, so I moved  him to a different tank, and he again refused to eat for about a week.  Both times he ended up doing fine and eating after a while, but the others never missed a beat and ate well right from the start.  I think they are all just a little different.  I'm sorry this is not really offering a solution, but I feel for you--it's super stressful!

• Like 1

I would suspect internal parasites/wasting disease. Monitor if he is eating/trying to eat, but spitting. 

If he is eating, I would do Levamisole (Expel-P) in the food, though some have had success in the water column. If he isn't eating, or spitting, I would try Flubendazole in the water column. You could also do Paracleanse/General Cure, but if it is wasting disease (where time is a factor, as the fish will starve to death), it simply won't work.