Melting plants

Hi everyone, I had purchased a 55g 3 months ago, and started a fishless cycle. Ordered plants from Aq co-op and a Fluval plant 3.0.  Everything was great most of the plants were showing new growth and then the tank leaked! Put the plants in a shallow tray with some of the tank water and the light over it. then replanted the replacement tank about 4 days later. Most of the plants have melted even the ones with good roots, any advice would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 12/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, WhiteEagle said:

Hi everyone, I had purchased a 55g 3 months ago, and started a fishless cycle. Ordered plants from Aq co-op and a Fluval plant 3.0.  Everything was great most of the plants were showing new growth and then the tank leaked! Put the plants in a shallow tray with some of the tank water and the light over it. then replanted the replacement tank about 4 days later. Most of the plants have melted even the ones with good roots, any advice would be appreciated.  

I am sorry to hear that the tank leaked and that you had to start over. I imagine this was very frustrating. 

There is actually a video coming out this weekend, where Cory talks about melting plants. Hopefully watching it will help!

As far as my experience, usually this occurs when there is a significant change in water conditions (and what you described would cause this), as well as a lack of nutrients. I suggest maybe adding some Easy Root Tabs underneath the plants to give them a nutrient boost. Most likely the will come back.