Shrimp Tank - DI Water Questions

Lds760

I'm setting up a shrimp tank (20g), and plan to use DI water, which I can easily get at work.  I will add minerals to achieve TDS around 200.  

1.  Other than hitting TDS; (and obviously monitoring Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates) - is there anything I should pay attention to?  

2. The PH for DI water should be right at 7.0, which, as far as I can tell, is fine for Cherry Shrimp. Will PH generally increase or decrease in the tank, over time?

3.  Does any of the above have any bearing on plants that I put in?

4. If I use Easy Green for the plants, other than watching Nitrates, will there be any impact on water chemistry from the fertilizer?

Substrate will be Seachem Fluorite, if that matters. No CO2, plan to use no heater.  Thanks in advance!

The most important things with shrimp.

Find out the water parameters of the place you are getting your shrimp from and try to mimic that.

Be sure to acclimate your shrimp to your tank water

Shrimp don't like changes in water parameters

Never change water more than 10-15% at a time.  I change mine once a month.  I always top off my tank with RO water if I find the water's TDS is increasing higher than desired.

I don't think Easy Green will change your water parameters at the recommended dosage.  But I would check with Aquarium Coop to be sure.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:01 PM, RonBFree said:

As per Flip Aquatics the preferred Parameters are 

Tank Parameters

Ph: 7.0 to 7.6
Gh: 7 to 15
Kh:  2 to 8
TDS: 180 to 400
Temp: 68 to 72

When setting up a new tank I start with RO water and remineralizer with Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ to a TDS of 200-250.  However I find that my GH and KA will be higher than recommended when I reach that TDS.  When I asked Flip Aquatics about that they said to mainly focus on the TDS.  I get all my shrimp from them.  They (as well as Aquarium COOP) have several good videos on shrimp care and breeding.  Any more questions please ask.  Glad to help out.