Newbie fish plunge !

KittenFishMom

Update: I put the Betta mirror in the tank today and my betta went into full display. I took it out after 4 minutes when he started slamming the mirror.  I know he is feeling much better than that droopy little fish that never left the bottom of his cup at the store.

Sadly, I found the one endler dead on the bottom of the tank. Now I fear the other 2 might get killed before the new ones are out of QT.  I am very tempted to get the new endlers and put them in the QT with the remaining 2 and  do the paracleanse now and repeat the other 2 meds in a few weeks.  I know this is rather backwards, but I don't have anyplace to put the betta or the 2 endler to keep them separate while I QT the new fish. I also plan to get some of the same corys because the one in the tank hides all the time.

Plunging has turned to plodding.

The place I bought my first fish at said they would have more endlers Wednesday afternoon. Like a fool, I did not call ahead. Their shipment had been delayed a day. I bought their last 2 corys of my variety, and a lone flag fish because he was the last fish in the cory tank.  I asked what flag fish were like. She said "oh, they are just normal fish".  I also got the last 2 guppies in the guppy/endler tank.  I put them all in with the Betta and 2 endlers and 1 cory that I had and will start the paracleanse tomorrow morning. I also added a lot more hornwort in hopes that the fish could escape the betta if he started chasing one.  I felt so bad for the fish at that store. I am not going back to that store, even if they are the only place around here that carries endlers.

I went to the Mom and Pop local fish store and got 3 more corys and 10 blue neon tetras. I put them in my new QT tank, that I quickly set up when I got home. If the fish look good in the morning, I will start the trio on them in the morning. Everything at the local pet store looked so much better than at the chain store. They even took my name and number and will try to find some endlers to order for me.

Setting up the new QT tank, I put small rounded pebbles and some flat stones over them and 4 large flat stones, stacked in a bridge in the middle. I added a used sponge filter and a dose of Fritz 7 and a bunch of scuds with some of their seaweed and some fresher hornwort.  I will test the water a least once a day. If the ammonia goes up, do I do a water change? If yes, how does that effect the quarantine meds?

When I bought the teras I was impressed at how small they looked, so I got 10. At checkout, I asked the store owner if they were adults. She gave me a friendly laugh and said they were less that half the size of adults. I probably should have gotten 6 instead of 10. Oh well. They are very pretty.

Well the first article I read on neon tertas and the first one I read on corydoras said that neither should be placed in a new aquarium.  Oh well, please wish me and them luck. It is a 12 gallon tote ant the 3 corys and 10 tera are tiny. If we are lucky, there won't be much bio load.

Now does it make sense to not feed very young fish for a week in a quarantine tank?  Would it be better to feed them for a few weeks and then do the Quarantine trio? I am in no rush to move them into a different tank. So maybe postponing the med trio would be in their best interest.  What do you think?

Right now I have a towel over both tanks that have new fish in them, so they can rest and get settled.