Sponge filter cfm requirement question

Jeeperscreepersmyth

As is often the case, there is no one answer to your question. In general, you want modest water flow through a biofilter media, like a sponge filter. I've seen sponge filters operating at a very slow rate in very crowded aquariums and everything was fine. I've seen Matten filters in use where you have to wait a few seconds to see a bubble at all and they're working fine. I've also seen both types of filters used with lots of airflow and once again they seem to work fine. Fourteen or so sponge filters won't need a massive blower style air pump. I might be inclined to go with two of the larger four outlet conventional air pumps and then use some airline tees and valves to get air to every tank. By using two or more smaller air pumps you have protection for when one fails. If you only use one big pump and it dies, every tank goes airless. With a multi-pump set up if one pump dies it only affect the tanks it's connected to, and you can divert air from the others to those tanks until you can replace/repair that pump. As to the CFM per filter, it depends on how much airflow you want. If you're a few bubbles per second tank owner, then you need a smaller air pump. If you like to recreate Niagara Falls, then you need a much bigger air pump. There is no "right" answer.