My weekend project

I didn't like what I had before so I made a few changes to my 5 gallon betta tank. I wanted to mostly do epiphyte plants and slow growers. I still have a baby green crypt wendtii and a dwarf sag. I want to possibly add some moss in the future.

I added a cool piece of driftwood and placed 3 anubias nana, the other small driftwood has 2 anubias nana petite. I have a windlov java fern that should be delivered this week and will go in front of the filter and heater. so far this betta seems to live it now that there's alot more hiding places and some tannins. 

I think when everything starts to really grown in it will look much better. I changed background color and now I can see the betta.

I would like to upgrade lid and light. I know these are low light plants but I want a better light for viewing plus the light I have i don't feel is enough. My other tank is in a room with much more natural light. 

I plan on just letting everything do it's thing and see what happens. 

Any light suggestions? 

Before20211204_220733.jpg.cb767cc0b0007ef8636c80df15f032cb.jpg

Now20211212_162356.jpg.52346f67e4fff3d21cc8aeb8935d6f1e.jpg

Edited by mtnmonster
add pictures
  • Like 3

Maybe you could get a small submersible light that would have suction cups you could place just inside or on top of a glass lid or if you have a plastic lid they will sometimes stick there- could also submerse them in the background and play with light that way.. They come in lots of lengths, can usually angle them different directions, sometimes have different color or intensity options, usually have timers attached to their remotes or inline controllers and they're usually pretty inexpensive. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Maybe you could get a small submersible light that would have suction cups you could place just inside or on top of a glass lid or if you have a plastic lid they will sometimes stick there- could also submerse them in the background and play with light that way.. They come in lots of lengths, can usually angle them different directions, sometimes have different color or intensity options, usually have timers attached to their remotes or inline controllers and they're usually pretty inexpensive. 

I will definitely check that out. This lights looks better in pictures but in person, let's just say I've seen candles give off more light. I don't think my anubias nana petite are complaining since they're showing some new growth already.

I like the changes (I also liked how it was before 🙂! I would suggest considering more dwarf sag for the back left and then small crypts in front right. You could do some botanicals, like indian almond (catappa) leaves to add interest to the substrate level (like you've done with the larger gravel).

• Like 1

Right now I'm seeing how the crypt and dwarf sag is going to do in this tank. They're doing well in my other tank so I've got high hopes. Right now I'm not adding any ferts or tabs until I see some deficiency or nitrates staying low. Right now its barely 10ppm nitrate. I want to see how long it will take to get to 20ppm. I'm writing down my weekly water testing and anything I notice different in the tank. I like the idea of adding leaves. I will probably  try that once the driftwood tannins start to fade

On 12/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, PedroPete said:

I like the changes (I also liked how it was before 🙂! I would suggest considering more dwarf sag for the back left and then small crypts in front right. You could do some botanicals, like indian almond (catappa) leaves to add interest to the substrate level (like you've done with the larger gravel).

• Like 1