I bought some Brazilian Micro Swords (Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis) online and they ended up spending 7 days in transit. This didn't seem to affect the plants too much, but I live in Phoenix, AZ so that heat doesn't help. I planted root tabs under them before planting the swords and made sure they got plenty of light, but the plants are dying anyways. However. there is a small amount of new growth and am hoping it continues. I am wondering if I should just wait for the rest of the old leaves to die off and focus on the new growth or if there is a way to bring the old leaves back to life. (I included pictures of its progression)

Good Looking Lilae.jpg

Decline Left 1.jpg

Decline Right 1.jpg

Decline Left 2.jpg

Decline Right 2.jpg

Evan looks like melt, you can trim that off, and clean the plant up a bit, but avoid trimming the new growth. New growth should be fully converted to your tank. In planted tanks, we don't really vac the substrate by plunging the vac into the substrate as you would traditionally in a non planted tank, as the plants use those nutrients, just lightly skim the surface of the substrate. The plants will need root tabs replenished every couple of months.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2020 at 9:45 PM, Candi said:

Evan looks like melt, you can trim that off, and clean the plant up a bit, but avoid trimming the new growth. New growth should be fully converted to your tank. In planted tanks, we don't really vac the substrate by plunging the vac into the substrate as you would traditionally in a non planted tank, as the plants use those nutrients, just lightly skim the surface of the substrate. The plants will need root tabs replenished every couple of months.

Thank you so much @Candi!! I trimmed off the melted leaves and cleaned the plants up. Not only do the micro swords look better, but I have seen more growth in the one day after trimming them than I have seen since they've been in my tank! Looks like they're going to survive, thanks for the advice!!

• Like 1