Simple cherry shrimp setup in 5.5?

Scapexghost

I'm redoing my 5.5 gallon I use for growing out fry. Since the tank would otherwise be empty most of the time, I want to attempt to establish a cherry shrimp colony in the tank to add a little flair. However, I have had very little success with shrimp in the past. What would be a good simple setup in terms of substrate, plants, food, and potentially hardscape? Since I will still be using it as a fry grow out tank, I need to avoid anything that significantly affects water parameters since I need to keep the water parameters as similar as possible to the main tanks. I have hard water (300+ ppm), high ph (7.8-8.4) and a nicrew classic led light.

Edited by Scapexghost

What kind of fry would you be growing out in the tank? With a tank that small, it will be very hard to keep water parameters in check when growing out very many fry. Cherry shrimp themselves can be grown in a 5.5 gallon very easily, and can potentially fill that size tank up very quickly. I have done it myself, I started with 10 shrimp in the tank and about a year later, I sold off well over 200 and still had a lot left. You have similar water parameters as I do, my shrimp tanks simply have pool filter sand, a few small pieces of rubble rock in a pile for hiding spots, or one or two of the terra cotta shrimp hides, some kind of plant, either guppy grass, hornwort of java moss, and a small sponge filter

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:30 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

What kind of fry would you be growing out in the tank? With a tank that small, it will be very hard to keep water parameters in check when growing out very many fry. Cherry shrimp themselves can be grown in a 5.5 gallon very easily, and can potentially fill that size tank up very quickly. I have done it myself, I started with 10 shrimp in the tank and about a year later, I sold off well over 200 and still had a lot left. You have similar water parameters as I do, my shrimp tanks simply have pool filter sand, a few small pieces of rubble rock in a pile for hiding spots, or one or two of the terra cotta shrimp hides, some kind of plant, either guppy grass, hornwort of java moss, and a small sponge filter. 

Mostly lifebearer fry for now

Neocaridina shrimp (red cherry shrimp and the other color varieties) should do well in your water.  They often struggle when first introduced to a tank if it's new, without a suitable amount of biofilm so they can graze all day, which is why many experienced fish keepers advise letting a tank run for at least two months before introducing shrimp, and three months is better.  Could that have been the issue?

They also like dense plants and/or a pile of small stones to hide in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1