Color matching app for water tests

Ryan F

Has anyone tried using a color matching app for reading test results of either test strips or other testing kit? 

This popped into my head this morning and I needed to ask. I know some people take pictures of their tests and then use a computer program to "pick" the color and compare it to the test's result chart. For various reasons, color blindness for instance. Has anyone done the same with an app like "color grab"? I haven't used it personally but it seems like it would be somewhat useful for comparing colors in the same photo or between photos.

Would anyone be interested in an app that could do that color analysis more automatically? Maybe translate the results into a more direct reading. I think it would be something not too hard for an experienced developer to do. Unfortunately I'm not one...I just know enough to think about it. Haha.

Good idea. I have never been concerned with exact matches and numbers just a read on where my tanks are compared to normal. Nitrite and ammonia present I do water changes. Nitrate looking high same thing. Ph as long as it is stable etc. I know a lot of folks have talked of wanting exact numbers though. Api does make a mega expensive (not realistic for normal hobbyists) computer tester spin thing that tests everything and gives digital readout. 

• Like 1

I had a colour blind friend who just used to send me pictures. So I've been an app.

There is definitely market and I've seen one test strip manufacturer offer it with their product. However I'm with @Guppysnailand any ammonia or nitrate time to change nitrate getting high time to change. I feel needing the exact numbers can not be achieved without a lab and I can't really see what I'd gain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...