Dwarf Red Honey Gourami, breathing at the top too much

Jcrizzo12

Hey folks, just looking to get an idea if anyone else has done this.

today was my first time trying to feed a dwarf gourami a boiled and skinned pea sort of as a laxative because I’ve noticed one of them has longer poops that are a little bit white so trying to rule out constipstion through this.

This was their fist time eating one and they ate a bit and then proceeded to spend the next few minutes at the top of the tank breathing constantly. They do that sometimes due to their labryrnth stomachs but this has been excessive, and it was only AFTER eating the pea it began doing this. I just did a large water change yesterday and parameters are great, could it perhaps be the trace salt in frozen peas? 

Can I have a picture of your red honey gourami? Chances are they are a red 'thicklipped' gourami (Trichogaster Labiosa) and not a true Trichogaster Chuna. My thicklips enjoy hanging out near the top and skimming the surface of biofilm. They think it's tasty, and it's pretty normal for them to do this sometimes; true honey gouramis don't do this as much. Long poops could mean constipation or overfeeding, and I'd just make sure you include a more veg-heavy feed mixed in your rotation with their diets.

Edited by laritheloud

Absolutely! Here are a couple of photos I just grabbed of them 

3D620D76-FADB-40CA-B6DB-15D19C99FEE6.jpeg

4A91D776-D3A5-4D65-95F0-CD0FE526C935.jpeg

1C74D69D-32E6-40E0-8662-76000BA08250.jpeg

I have a male and 2 females. The smallest female is the one currently who I believe is constipated but I do think I have been over feeding lately and have been cutting back on it a few days. I was just concerned because they do not skim the surface often so when they did it excessively right after taking bites of the pea I was just a bit taken aback 

• Like 1

Yep, those are definitely thicklipped gouramis and they are BEAUTIFUL. That male's color is perfect! Thicklips are one of my favorite fish for their endearing, outgoing, friendly personalities. I have a harem of 1 male 3 females, too, and one female does tend to overeat and pork out a lot. She occasionally had bloating issues from overeating. I'd say give them a fasting day to let the food pass through their system and experiment with cutting back on feedings until you hit the sweet spot.

Skimming the surface isn't anything to worry about right now unless they have trouble swimming down (bloat) or holding themselves midwater. Regardless, even if the fish are bloating a little, if they're still hungry and acting fine aside from the 'floaty' behavior I'd still recommend just fasting for a day or two and seeing if it improves. 🙂 

Edited by laritheloud
  • Thanks 1

Also, I definitely suggest picking up frozen daphnia to help them clear out occasionally, if you don't include it in their diets already. I think it's a little less messy than peas, you can feed them just a portion of a frozen block and it's so fun to watch them slurp it up like candy. I usually let them feast on daphnia the day before fasting day so they can clear their systems.