Removable fry trap designs?

Scapexghost

There are a lot of fry trap designs out there but a wonder if anyone has one that can be used to transport the fry. As in the fry swim into the fry trap, and then you can move the fry trap along with the fry to a nursery tank. My current idea is a weighted water bottle with holes only on the top half.

I made my own for removing female bettas like the one you're describing. I only put holes into the plastic bottle in the top 2/3 of the bottle and it did really well in allowing pheromones to pass between the fish and to separate both of them. But for actual fry traps, I wouldn't trust the fry not getting stuck in holes potentially killing them. 

What I do for fry, is use those regular floating plastic clear traps and when I remove the mother I remove the sorting/ separating the fry thing, Then I put a bowl that fits underneath the floating box and that allows me to move all the fry without taking the whole box out of water. I would like to see a case/ slides you can attach to the ends so that you can just pick up the box rather than scooping it up with a bowl/ container. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, Keeg said:

I made my own for removing female bettas like the one you're describing. I only put holes into the plastic bottle in the top 2/3 of the bottle and it did really well in allowing pheromones to pass between the fish and to separate both of them. But for actual fry traps, I wouldn't trust the fry not getting stuck in holes potentially killing them. 

What I do for fry, is use those regular floating plastic clear traps and when I remove the mother I remove the sorting/ separating the fry thing, Then I put a bowl that fits underneath the floating box and that allows me to move all the fry without taking the whole box out of water. I would like to see a case/ slides you can attach to the ends so that you can just pick up the box rather than scooping it up with a bowl/ container. 

I see your thinking. Maybe if i used something made of thicker plastic like a reusable water bottle rather than a disposable one there would less risk of injuring the fry.

The sliding case idea is interesting idea although I'm not sure how to implement it. Maybe if i use a rubber glove or a water tight sock as a sleeve to cover the holes. Perhaps a could get a water bottle with a sleeve and slide the sleeve over the holes when i move it.

Edited by Scapexghost
Addition

I’m actually just about to try to make some fry traps. I’m hoping to make them self-sorting, so I only catch the larger fry (the smaller ones will escape through the holes).

To prevent injury, I’m going to try to use heat to melt/smooth the edges of the holes. Not sure how this is going to work. I may end up burning myself and making a mess, but we’ll see. Hubby has wanted to get a heat gun for a while so this might be the perfect excuse!

On 10/6/2021 at 4:02 PM, Scapexghost said:

Maybe if i use a rubber glove or a water tight sock as a sleeve to cover the holes. Perhaps a could get a water bottle with a sleeve and slide the sleeve over the holes when i move it.

You could do what people do when cleaning sponge filters and slip a plastic bag around the trap.

Putting the holes only in the top half is a great idea, too.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:16 AM, Hobbit said:

I’m actually just about to try to make some fry traps. I’m hoping to make them self-sorting, so I only catch the larger fry (the smaller ones will escape through the holes).

To prevent injury, I’m going to try to use heat to melt/smooth the edges of the holes. Not sure how this is going to work. I may end up burning myself and making a mess, but we’ll see. Hubby has wanted to get a heat gun for a while so this might be the perfect excuse!

You could do what people do when cleaning sponge filters and slip a plastic bag around the trap.

Putting the holes only in the top half is a great idea, too.

In an old DIY video Cory used a soldering iron to put holes in a plastic bottle, so that is what i would suggest. You would be able to smooth the edges while putting the holes in. That does give me an idea though. I wonder if i could create a one way fry trap, as in the fry could get in but not out, by making the holes smooth on the outside but sharp on the inside. I know some mouse traps are designed this way but im not sure if it would translate to fish. The trickiest part would be getting the holes the right size.

• Like 1

Oh great idea about the soldering iron! We already have one of those.

I would be very hesitant to make the edges sharp on the inside. Keep in mind that when you pull the trap, the fish will freak out and swim very fast and erratic, almost certainly hitting the walls and maybe trying to force themselves out of holes that are too small for them. So do be careful!

• Like 1