Re-doing my 45g with Stumps & Rainbows

Tom P.

Re-doing my 45g anticipating dwarf neon rainbows, but wondering if other rainbows would do okay? Love the Bosemani but concerned about size. Also re-doing the aquascape and considering tree stump look. Any suggestions? I currently have 2 F/1M Threadfins that are great.

I’d say that other melanotaenia species would be too big for the 3’ length. They like a lot of swimming room laterally and don’t care about vertical space as much. People do 20 L for breeding setups but boesmani need that extra room for day to day living. Maybe Kamaka could work. You could do a Rhadinocentrus species - super underrated but hard to come by other than on Aquabid , Madagascar could work or a nice size group of Pseudomeugils if you’re going for a rainbow only tank they’d be fine with that kind of room it would look awesome though a big group could be spendy but I remember seeing nice size groups for a reasonable price in aquahuna. 

Thanks. Will check out your suggestions. Have seen quite a few state that they are raising their bosemani in a 45g, but sounds like they are pushing it. I'm mainly interested in getting something with the appropriate size and lots of color. Not locked into rainbows but love their look.

Thanks Beardedbillygoat1, will check out some of the FB groups. 

I know that I can put whatever I want in my tank, but I really want to make sure that I'm not stressing the fish. I try to keep a heavily planted aquascape with plenty of hiding places. I'm not concerned about breeding if that is an issue for any of the species. I've had the threadfins for about 6 months and they are doing great - very subtle colors but beautiful.