Best quarantine methods??

Kellbell711

Hi guys! I seem to be getting quite a few fish from one breeder that I can never fully get the fish healthy to the point they do well long term. I’m trying to figure out a quarantine regimen that will cover all bases since they all seem to have or start having SBD. I typically use MinnFinn & Lifeguard tablets but having no luck and want the best for my fish. Can anyone recommend what I should do please? Or share your quarantine methods?

What kind of fish are you consistently seeing SBD? You might want to change breeders if you're constantly getting fish with issues. For quarantine, I personally just use a clear storage bin and fill it with water, bubble filter, and heater if your room is cooler. Then I just wait for 3 weeks. If the fish look healthy, bowl movements are good, and are acting fine I go ahead and move them into whatever tank I planned for them. 

If you want to go faster and cover all bases (I haven't had to do this bc I get my fish from co-op and they already quarantine, and when I do get fresh from a chain, they end up fine after the 3 weeks anyways, you could go with the med trio recommended by the co-op (Maracyn, ParaCleanse, Ich-X). Treat according to instructions and you should be good to go.

For sensitive fish, its better to just wait and see before adding medications because you could do more harm than good. 

• Like 1