GH & KH explanation please

Seahorse

On 6/28/2021 at 8:17 PM, tonyjuliano said:

Here’s a link…

https://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Aragonite-Aquarium-Sand/dp/B00C5H0BCI/ref=pd_di_sccai_1/140-3156567-2877306?pd_rd_w=DFvsh&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=C9Z1HZV8DVK4J0CNCP4H&pd_rd_r=0a7a5281-e5ba-4622-891a-811caa99d97f&pd_rd_wg=Zedz3&pd_rd_i=B00C5H0BCI&psc=1

Don’t replace all your substrate with it - it will raise your pH to slightly over 8 in that instance.  Just mix it in with the gravel of your choice.

Add it slowly and test after a few hours, keep adding until your pH reads in the area of 7.2-7.4, this will put you in a spot that most species can adjust to easily.

I would strongly advise against this.  I would suggest a full “reset”.  Drain the tank, fill with spring water.  Check KH level and add aragonite slowly until range is betweeN 4-8 dKH, and pH is in the neighborhood of 7.2 to 7.4.  KH and pH are intrinsically linked, as you raise or lower KH, pH will raise or lower correspondingly.  

Make sure everything is at your desired temperature while doing this, to ensure accuracy.

When this is complete, I would commence reestablishing cycle.  I can help you with that, if you desire, but let’s get the the other water parameters in check first.

Thanks Tony, I think I have enough info to get started or get things back on track.  I appreciate your help and the advice and suggestions of others.  Thanks guys!