Tear Down and Restart

Dan T.

Hi Everyone, My first aquarium is now over a year old. I've had excellent results with my plants: Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Cryptocoryne, and Water Sprite. I tried Dwarf Chain Sword but the light in my 15 gallon Fluval Flex isn't powerful enough to grow a carpet. All the plants have grown tremendously and I now need to thin and rescape as there isn't much room for the fish to swim in. Water conditions have remained at zero for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates since the aquarium cycled. Should I save a third of the substrate to keep beneficial bacteria and rinse the rest? I plan on not rinsing the sponges and bio material in the filter section and keeping them in a bucket with aquarium water and an air stone. Thanks for any helpful information. Dan T.

Hi @Dan T., I am glad to hear you had great success! Are you planning to rescape the aquarium because you want something new? If its just because the plants have grown, you can trim the plants. 

As far as the substrate goes, what are you planning to do? Do you want to change gravel or use sand or an aquasoil? 

Any pictures, stocking list and more information on your desired outcome and what you have now will help us provide you with information that is more applicable to your situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaac M said:

Hi @Dan T., I am glad to hear you had great success! Are you planning to rescape the aquarium because you want something new? If its just because the plants have grown, you can trim the plants. 

As far as the substrate goes, what are you planning to do? Do you want to change gravel or use sand or an aquasoil? 

Any pictures, stocking list and more information on your desired outcome and what you have now will help us provide you with information that is more applicable to your situation. 

Hi Isaac< I have been trimming but I'm looking to change the layout from a "jungle" to a triangular scape. The substrate is dark Seachem Flourite with a top dressing of black gravel which I intend to keep. I'm planning on reusing as many plants that will fit but adding a dwarf aquarium lily and maybe one pot of Dwarf Sagittaria? Stocking is eight neon tetras and four Glo Tetras which I'm rehoming to another fishkeeper. Thank You

@Dan T. I see, so you essentially just want to remove the plants from the aquarium and add them back in with a different aquascaping composition in mind. But the substrate will stay the same. If I understood that correctly (please correct me if I did not), I would simply remove all of the plants from the aquarium and leave the aquarium running. The media can stay in, the substrate can stay in, the fish can stay in. Then simply replant the aquarium plants and the new plants in the new composition. It may be cloudy for a bit but it will clear up. You can also do a water change afterwards to help clear it up and remove all the debris that may have accumulated from uprooting the plants. 

1 hour ago, Isaac M said:

@Dan T. I see, so you essentially just want to remove the plants from the aquarium and add them back in with a different aquascaping composition in mind. But the substrate will stay the same. If I understood that correctly (please correct me if I did not), I would simply remove all of the plants from the aquarium and leave the aquarium running. The media can stay in, the substrate can stay in, the fish can stay in. Then simply replant the aquarium plants and the new plants in the new composition. It may be cloudy for a bit but it will clear up. You can also do a water change afterwards to help clear it up and remove all the debris that may have accumulated from uprooting the plants. 

Hi Isaac, Yes that's my plan. Thank you for the information. Attached are a few photos including my cat Lucy who can be quite mesmerized watching the fish. DanAquarium_11-03-2020.jpg.77443a5a1cf148391b93fc40153d2f28.jpgAquarium.jpg.f5cc46441de2f36fed0f4327e8a0c04f.jpgLucyAquarium.jpg.b04bee7bd2e346d5317aee2b53d2ac7a.jpg

• Like 1

@Dan T. wow I am surprised that the light/ cover is strong enough to support Lucy 😂 the tank looks great! But sounds good, I think just replanting is the way to go. There is no need to gut the tank to rescape it. You do not want to risk a mini cycle happening if you do not need to. Keep us updated on the new look!