How hot is too hot?

Emika_B

Aloha all.  It’s been rather warm lately, ambient temperature in the low to mid 80s.  My main tank (40-ish gallons) has an egg-crate “lid” and a temperature gauge that turns on a set of fans if the water hits 79.0.  I’ve noticed the fans are on every day for most of the day and into the night.  Sometimes it gets into the 80s.

My quarantine tank (10 gallons), though, does not have the advantage of temperature modulation.  I generally take the lid off during the day since it’s been so warm.  I checked and one day it was 85.something.  At the time the fish were still soaking in the med trio so I didn’t want to change out water with cooler water.  I ended up using a reusable ice pack (double zip-top bagged).

I’ll probably only have one more round of new fish to put through quarantine; clean up crew and either more guppies or some platies (platties?) but that won’t be for at least another 2 weeks.  With summer coming on how hot is too hot for the fish?  Ambient temperatures are generally mid 80s to 90s with summer and my house isn’t temperature controlled.

2 hours ago, Emika_B said:

Aloha all.  It’s been rather warm lately, ambient temperature in the low to mid 80s.  My main tank (40-ish gallons) has an egg-crate “lid” and a temperature gauge that turns on a set of fans if the water hits 79.0.  I’ve noticed the fans are on every day for most of the day and into the night.  Sometimes it gets into the 80s.

My quarantine tank (10 gallons), though, does not have the advantage of temperature modulation.  I generally take the lid off during the day since it’s been so warm.  I checked and one day it was 85.something.  At the time the fish were still soaking in the med trio so I didn’t want to change out water with cooler water.  I ended up using a reusable ice pack (double zip-top bagged).

I’ll probably only have one more round of new fish to put through quarantine; clean up crew and either more guppies or some platies (platties?) but that won’t be for at least another 2 weeks.  With summer coming on how hot is too hot for the fish?  Ambient temperatures are generally mid 80s to 90s with summer and my house isn’t temperature controlled.

It really depends on the fish some(like discus) need water in the 80s but some like axolotls need mid to low 60s so there is a lot of variety in temps if you need to cool down tanks I suggest frozen water bottles or if your don’t want to have that hassle get a chiller they are pretty expensive though and definitely for big tanks can be very pricey   I use frozen water bottles  for my axolotl(because in his permanent tank I have a plan for cooling and am able to keep his water in the mid 60s I hope this answers your questions just look up temp requirements for your fish if you any of your questions weren’t answered please reply with what part wasn’t answered 

Edited by Angelfishlover

Gardenman - That’s true about the oxygen; I hadn’t thought about it.  The main tank has two air stones and a Ziss-type fluidized filter, so lots of surface agitation for air exchange.  The quarantine tank has only a sponge filter so I should probably drop an air stone  to help with surface air exchange.  Mahalo!

Angelfishlover - Thanks for the reply.  I had thought about an axolotl before I went with fish; they’re just so cool!  Unfortunately I can’t think of a way to keep the water cool enough.  I decided on basic tropicals since they prefer warmer water, but I’m worried about it being too warm in the quarantine tank.  I guess in addition to an air stone I should have a frozen water bottle or two on hand, just in case.  Mahalo!