Male Peacock/Hap aggression, temperature control discussion

NoCo tap water

Hey everyone. I have an all male peacock/hap 75. Currently 11 cichlids, bnp and a redtail.

About a month ago I had a new tank boss (6in big mean angry guy) take his place. Since then it has been hell in that tank. I’ve triple checked and removed all females (there were 2 in my “all male” 10 pack). I’ve offered additional food. Nothing curbs this guys rage.

Im trying to lower the temperature in more than one way in the tank.

Does anyone keep their Malawi cichlids at 72-73? Anyone notice a reduction in aggression when these guys are cooler. There is so much conflicting information out there on what temp and no clear answer on the aggression observations.

Im lowering to 73 from 75, then to 72. I’ll keep an eye on them but I’m ready to rehome this guy . SAVE THE FINS

Photo of the jerk.

IMG_3082.jpeg.6dc96526bdb82408ffd2a54f1ed0e021.jpeg

Edited by NoCo tap water

Thats one pretty jerk. I have never kept African Cichlids so I can't really help but he is a show stopper.  I have a co worker who uses a breeder box when one fish get s aggressive. He will place the aggressor in the breeder box for a day or two until the tank hierarchy settles and then release the problem fish back into gen pop.  He says it works but like I said, I have no experience with it.

On 10/21/2024 at 8:50 AM, NOLANANO said:

Thats one pretty jerk. I have never kept African Cichlids so I can't really help but he is a show stopper.  I have a co worker who uses a breeder box when one fish get s aggressive. He will place the aggressor in the breeder box for a day or two until the tank hierarchy settles and then release the problem fish back into gen pop.  He says it works but like I said, I have no experience with it.

This is a great idea. I’ve just ordered a in tank net type, this guy is large. Thanks!!

Edited by NoCo tap water

Have you tried rearranging the tank decor during a large water change to confuse / re-establish territory?

In regards to the above, you could bucket the fish for awhile while water-changing and re-arranging. Then, introduce him back into the tank, as if he is a new fish to the tank.

Edited by quikv6
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 8:50 AM, NOLANANO said:

Solitary confinement for a week + a tank rearrangement is a great way to do this.

As far as temperature goes, generally keeping fish a little cooler tends to lower aggressive behaviors (in my experience this is especially true in some tetras and angelfish) but I do not know if that would hold true with highly aggressive fish like peacocks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, quikv6 said:

Have you tried rearranging the tank decor during a large water change to confuse / re-establish territory?

In regards to the above, you could bucket the fish for awhile while water-changing and re-arranging. Then, introduce him back into the tank, as if he is a new fish to the tank.

I took this idea and ran with it. Re-hardscape, don’t tempt me with a good time !

Temp hasn’t dropped yet , still at 75

Has helped for sure, some sort of pecking order reset, though he still looks like he is on top.

They must have had a rough night , still super cloudy

IMG_3106.jpeg.268e4811b47d1d6c59b3279ee59e2981.jpeg

Also looks like a fry survived from when I had discovered I had females.

IMG_3107.jpeg.7bb0a57cac00e01b9ebfd1867c312c60.jpeg
I’ve also made a campfire in hopes they can work it out between each other .

IMG_3112.jpeg.aecfafcc4d88b93e121064ec9e0b3010.jpeg

Edited by NoCo tap water