What’s your most expensive tank?

On 10/8/2024 at 5:23 PM, TanTann the fish man said:

I am over 3k and counting on my 90 gallon tank. Granted it is a rimless tank so that obviously drove the price. Oase 850 thermo for the filter and 2 finnex lights.

Messenger_creation_966DC856-BF42-4904-ABE7-533BE4AADC5F.png

Not to mention that driftwood

• Haha 2

Oh my... I started fishkeeping in 1994, so I wouldn't want to think of how much the total cost was for purchase & maintenance on any of the tanks over the years.

I guess the adult discus tank would be the most expensively stocked. Back in 2012, we fell in love with the idea of keeping discus. We were doing so well with it that they were breeding regularly, so we started buying uncommon color strain breeding pairs after their first successful brood. Some of those breeding pairs were $750+ a pair.

At one point, our 135 gallon adult community tank had 16 adults ranging from 6"-9+", worth a minimum of $3,000 ($200 each for common color strain large adults was on the low side then, & it had a few uncommon color strains). It was a planted tank, with pothos roots in the water, dual Eheim 2217 canister filters & a Coralife 36w turbo-twist UV light in line with one of the canisters. It was usually stocked with adult discus, ancistrus, sterbai corydoras, assassin snails & cardinal tetras Even in our grow out tanks, we would keep some german blue rams, rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, or lemon tetras in there as dither fish to help calm the discus, as well as get the discus accustomed to not being alone, for when they were sold & put in their new keeper's tank.

With my wife & I both working 60+ hours per week at the time, it just got to the point it was taking up too much of our time to maintain breeding discus, guppies, ancistrus, endlers, assassin snails, shrimp, sterbai corydoras, pygmy corydoras, & whatever else as a hobby. Saturdays were spent driving 1-2 hours in each direction to the various LFS that we were supplying & Sundays were water changes on all of the tanks (15 tanks, ranging from 20-135 gallons each), so we never had much free time anymore. Neither of us were willing to turn it into a full time job, so we started selling off the breeding stock in 2017 & by 2020, we took it down to 4 tanks (135, 55, 20, 20) for enjoyment.

Here's a sample of the adult community tank (mentioned above), a juvenile grow out tank of blues & violets, plus a few of our most successful breeding pairs. The maroons were one of those expensive purchased breeding pairs, while the other two pairs naturally paired off in a juvenile grow out tank.

CommunityOceanic135B.jpg

Growout54.JPG

Pair1.jpg

Pair2.jpg

Pair3.jpg

Edited by Tazalanche
  • Love 1