Unexpected Angelfish fry

cullywilliams

We got a set of angelfish about a week ago. A day or two later, we saw eggs. After some quick googling, we thought they were orange and not going to progress. We left for a three day trip, came home, and the next day see fry. I have no idea what to do now. We have a spare 23gal tank that were working on setting up now in case that'd be beneficial.

Current tank is a standard 55gal that has two three-spot gouramis, a flame/dwarf gourami, two danios, a small pleco, a few coreys, a few otos, and the pair of angelfish. See attached pic for the fry and the two angry parents.

What do we do now?

PXL_20240928_000145219.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/27/2024 at 8:08 PM, cullywilliams said:

We got a set of angelfish about a week ago. A day or two later, we saw eggs. After some quick googling, we thought they were orange and not going to progress. We left for a three day trip, came home, and the next day see fry. I have no idea what to do now. We have a spare 23gal tank that were working on setting up now in case that'd be beneficial.

Current tank is a standard 55gal that has two three-spot gouramis, a flame/dwarf gourami, two danios, a small pleco, a few coreys, a few otos, and the pair of angelfish. See attached pic for the fry and the two angry parents.

What do we do now?

PXL_20240928_000145219.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  Congrats the parents are not angry but instinctively protecting the fry. All cichlid parents will do that. I personally would leave the fry be. My main reason would be the plants in the aquarium. The fry will find tiny microorganisms to feed on. I suggest adding a sponge filter to your aquarium to seed it with beneficial bacteria. You then could use the sponge filter in a fry growout aquarium. @cullywilliams

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Love 1