Filter Choices - 80 G

MrKyle

Hey all,

Just got an 80 gallon tank from my LFS and they recommended UNS Delta 120 canisters (2) as the FX4 wouldn’t fit in the door openings on the stand. Tank is 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8 for reference.

I want to do a planted low tech community tank (angels, tetras, corys, etc)

Started getting everything setup today only to find that the lily tubes clamp/mount does not fit on the rim of the tank; checked with UNS and they don't have anything bigger - LFS gave me heater suction cups with bands to try and attach intake/output tubes but it is not looking good (the force from the tubes coming off the canister just bends the pipes sideways and cups can’t hold them straight)

As they told me the stand I got can’t fit an FX4 due to it being slightly too wide I am kind of at an impasse with what to do with canisters

Do I go with a pair of Fluval 407s? Looking at the FX2 dimensions it is 13.5" diameter so I could do one of those perhaps?

Doors are 13 3/4” wide for reference.

Thanks in advance!

On 9/16/2024 at 11:10 AM, Tony s said:

I have an fx2 on my 75g angel tank. Works great.  almost too much flow. 

Nice! That is what I am debating on now, I think an FX2 would be good but might be a bit much flow (can restrict that with the valves though right?) 

Maybe 2 407's give more uniform movement (and lower flow)

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 2:14 PM, MrKyle said:

can restrict that with the valves though right?

yes. you can partially close the output flow valve. the motor is designed to handle that. acts like a clogged filter. or you could get a spray bar to go down the back side. I haven't used one. but have been thinking about it

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tony s said:

yes. you can partially close the output flow valve. the motor is designed to handle that. acts like a clogged filter. or you could get a spray bar to go down the back side. I haven't used one. but have been thinking about it

Ah, right - forgot about the spray bar.  Are you running your valve fully open?

If I can get away with one filter would be ideal, as the wife already doesn't like having lots of tubes and things in the tank!

On 9/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, MrKyle said:

Are you running your valve fully open?

I am at the moment. I wasn't always. Most of my angels are either juvenile or males in there right now. I had a couple of breeding pairs. But lost one female. and the other pair went to a breeding tank because the boy was mean. So, everything in there currently can handle a bit of extra flow.

On 9/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, MrKyle said:

If I can get away with one filter would be ideal, as the wife already doesn't like having lots of tubes and things in the tank!

Yeah, the fx2 is enough. And for the tubes, you could try a black background. It shows of the fish well, and hides the equipment

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:33 AM, Tony s said:

I am at the moment. I wasn't always. Most of my angels are either juvenile or males in there right now. I had a couple of breeding pairs. But lost one female. and the other pair went to a breeding tank because the boy was mean. So, everything in there currently can handle a bit of extra flow.

Perfect, sounds like that would probably be my best bet then - as I can restrict the valve for the smaller fish but still get benefits of the better volume/media space of the FX2 

Now to cross my fingers it actually fits in the front cabinet doors of my stand!

• Like 1