ACO Light Color

PaleoShrimp

I’ve been thinking about getting the ACO light for awhile and now even more. When I look at reviews and comments online it seems that everyone says the build quality is great. But the biggest complaint is the color of the light. Also, I’ve heard it doesn’t have the power for high tech setups. I’m wondering if those of you that own the light could comment on the color of it and the power out put? And maybe share photos?

It absolutely has the power. It's 100% setting is more than pretty much anyone needs. Also, the light mimics natural light a lot more than many other lights out there, in my opinion. I love it. I have a 36", 30", and 12" ACO light. 

I'm not home right now but can share some photos later if someone else doesn't beat me to it. 

Edited by Retrophyllum_minus
Added info
  • Like 1

The color is on the yellow side, it definitely accentuates tannins in the water and yellow fish like Platies.  The power is adjustable from very low to hurts my eyes high, i grow low light plants but I have no doubt it could work well for a high tech setup as well.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 7:23 AM, PaleoShrimp said:

I’ve been thinking about getting the ACO light for awhile and now even more. When I look at reviews and comments online it seems that everyone says the build quality is great. But the biggest complaint is the color of the light. Also, I’ve heard it doesn’t have the power for high tech setups. I’m wondering if those of you that own the light could comment on the color of it and the power out put? And maybe share photos?

The color temp is warm and not as stark white/blue as some other lights I’ve used but I don’t find it to be noticeably yellow or anything. If you have tannins in the water, it will certainly make them appear even yellower, but past that I’ve never had issues.

As far as power goes, I run it at 50% on my high tech 29 gallon tank and it is plenty of light. At 100% it would be more than you need for pretty much any application.

Here’s a picture of my tank with the ACO light on it.

IMG_2868.jpeg

• Like 2

Agreed with everyone else. It’s definitely on the more yellow side than on the white/blue side. But once you get used to it you don’t even notice it. If you have tannins, or decaying/dying leaves it will highlight that, and make it appear even more yellow. 

I have a 48” from when they first released on my 55 gallon tank. When I heard they were being discontinued I picked up another 20” and 30”. I’m glad I have them. 

IMG_7255.jpeg.8d7e5c1246bf3cac0b5741863ca220d0.jpeg
55 gallon tank with the plants pretty thin. 
IMG_6398.jpeg.ded070eac9c49473cdbf6e3ade817b1e.jpeg

55 with the plants pretty thick. 
IMG_6394.jpeg.ad171a1e5b83d41e6957b712dc5dade0.jpeg

Angels in the 55 under the ACO light. I think I have this light at 80%. If memory serves me correctly. 

IMG_8056.jpeg.25c065d9e729613a7fe829d0927441d5.jpeg

29 gallon, 30” light, 50% on this one. I had it at 70%, but then I pulled out a TON of PSO and turned it down to 50% to compensate for less plants/cover. 

IMG_8058.jpeg.0585bae0adde4b4ec5f0651a98b28d8d.jpeg

10 gallon, 20” light, blackwater tank, light set to 20%. 

At 100% the light puts out more par than anyone would ever need. It’s a great light, and will probably last forever. Build quality is incredible. If you’re thinking about picking one up, I’d go ahead and do it as once they’re sold out, they’re gone. 

• Like 2