What’s wrong with my plants?

So I started this 25 gallon tank about 6 months ago, and I’ve never struggled so much in my life! Substrate is aquatic pond compost topped with sand. At first I had hell getting plants to grow, then they finally took hold. About a month ago I started having problems with staghorn and bba. Then about 2 weeks ago the leafy green plants in the back slowly started not looking great and slowly dropping leaves. 

im currently running co2, and auto dosing an all in one fert, and potassium about every 3 days. I’m using a fluval plant light running about 8.5 hours a day.

based on my plants appearance what does it look like is going on??

7D820A11-72D3-4F31-B570-59DA119EC6F1.jpeg

D6B03626-9E04-410A-AA0A-58DBD5390B4F.jpeg

4BF4EE26-3EC8-4B96-B9EB-E62D4CF5F542.jpeg

15740A33-E0F3-4A29-A8B5-866BDCD0E835.jpeg

On 9/10/2024 at 6:52 AM, ryan77724 said:

I’m dosing a good amount of potassium, it tested at 80ppm the other day. So it can’t be that, which is why I’m confused 

How long has that leaf been filled with small brown pinholes? 

oh, and how are you testing potassium?

Edited by MWilk

On 9/10/2024 at 7:01 AM, JoeQ said:

Npk, you need nitrogen and phosphates to start the nutrient chain reaction. The potassium most likely isn't even being consumed by the plants

I have Both, after my weekly water change I am usually around .3 phosphate, and about 12 nitrate. I try to keep nitrate between 10-20 bc I’ve had livestock losses above 20.

On 9/10/2024 at 7:17 AM, MWilk said:

How long has that leaf been filled with small brown pinholes? 

oh, and how are you testing potassium?

I’m not sure exactly, best guess 1-2 weeks. 

I am using a salifert kit to test potassium.

You have multiple deficiencies, 'brown spots' should be the least of your concerns, or be splitting hairs over test numbers.  If it were me Id be doing a big water change to get your nutrients reset. Then dose a lot heavier! You should be increasing your dose as your plants grow, not maintaining the same dose. 

On 9/10/2024 at 9:08 AM, JoeQ said:

You have multiple deficiencies, 'brown spots' should be the least of your concerns, or be splitting hairs over test numbers.  If it were me Id be doing a big water change to get your nutrients reset. Then dose a lot heavier! You should be increasing your dose as your plants grow, not maintaining the same dose. 

Ok, thanks! I’ll give it a shot!