New tank, need help

Iryna

Good evening everyone)) I really need advice on whether I am doing everything right to start a new aquarium. Inputs: 55 gallon tank, fluval 407 canister filter, two medium sponge filters, tank decor - natural driftwood and artificial decorations, all plants live. Water was poured into the aquarium exactly two weeks ago, I used tap water and added conditioner according to the instructions. I planted the plants on the third day after adding water, that is, 11 days ago. I used fertilizers in the form of capsules for plants. I also added bacteria to the water according to the instructions. for two weeks I did two 20% water changes each week. but what I have as a result today is terrible test results for nitrates and nitrites ((I thought that live bacteria would accelerate the nitrogen cycle and I would be able to add snails to the aquarium two weeks after adding water and three weeks after the start I would be able to add the first undemanding fish. but the test results show me that something is wrong with my tank(((what am I doing wrong? do I have to be patient and wait for the water parameters to improve? or did I make some mistakes? I also noticed on two- on three leaves of anubias there is some kind of algae, like light fluff (( I am adding all the photos for the completeness of the story and I really need help.

IMG_6151.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg

IMG_6157.jpeg

IMG_6159.jpeg

IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

IMG_6161.jpeg

• Like 1

You’re doing great. It takes a week or 2 after zero ammonia to get to zero nitrite. Completely normal. Just going to take a bit longer that’s all. When you get to zero ammonia and nitrite then you’re ready to add some fish or snails. A small amount to start with. And you could do a water change before adding 

On 9/9/2024 at 10:05 PM, Iryna said:

I’m not sure (( what kind of ammonia source do you mean

Ammonia source would be something like Fritz fuel. Since you’re using Fritz complete 

Nitrogen cycle takes 2 different bacteria. One from ammonia to nitrite. Another from nitrite to nitrate. You have nitrate being produced. I think. Unless it’s from the fertilizer. 

• Like 2

On 9/9/2024 at 10:06 PM, Tony s said:

You’re doing great. It takes a week or 2 after zero ammonia to get to zero nitrite. Completely normal. Just going to take a bit longer that’s all.

It looks like I need to wait a couple weeks more, right? Do I need to change 20% of water during these two weeks? Also, please, help me with understanding problem with algae (((

Ammonia source would be something like Fritz fuel. Since you’re using Fritz complete 

Do I need to add Fritz fuel?

• Like 1

Nitrogen cycle takes 2 different bacteria. One from ammonia to nitrite. Another from nitrite to nitrate. You have nitrate being produced. I think. Unless it’s from the fertilizer. 

What do you think, maybe I need to stop with adding fertiliser for plants? Now I add twice a week fertiliser easy green.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 10:12 PM, Iryna said:

Do I need to add Fritz fuel?

Did you add any source of ammonia. If you didn't it may take a bit longer. The ammonia bacteria may not have started yet. What all did you use so far in your tank? Just fertilizer and the fritz complete? How many plants have you added? They are a source of the good bacteria as well. lots of different ways to go here.

for a good idea of what the nitrogen cycle is try this video

• Like 1

Okay if you have those done, we need to find you a good source of beneficial bacteria. I use fritzyme 7. It contains both forms of the bacteria you need. So do your plants depending on how many and where you got them. With a lot of plants and the fritzyme, you could try fish soon.

On 9/9/2024 at 10:22 PM, Iryna said:

maybe I need to stop with adding fertiliser for plants

I wouldn’t quit adding fertilizer, keeping very healthy plants makes everything easier.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 10:42 PM, Tony s said:

Did you add any source of ammonia. If you didn't it may take a bit longer. The ammonia bacteria may not have started yet. What all did you use so far in your tank? Just fertilizer and the fritz complete? How many plants have you added? They are a source of the good bacteria as well. lots of different ways to go here

I ordered a bottle of ammonia, I will receive it on Wednesday and start adding it to my aquarium, thanks for all your advice.
I used for my tank just fertiliser and the fritz complete, I added almost 18 not big plants. IMG_6039.jpeg.c9f4612fb1e33c4b1281d7e3a064ded6.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

IMG_6041.jpeg

IMG_6040.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 12:00 AM, Tony s said:

Okay if you have those done, we need to find you a good source of beneficial bacteria. I use fritzyme 7. It contains both forms of the bacteria you need. So do your plants depending on how many and where you got them. With a lot of plants and the fritzyme, you could try fish soon.

Amazing, I have fritzyme 7 and I will be able to add it more. About plants - all plants I bought in Aquarium Co-Op. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 12:25 AM, Iryna said:

I have fritzyme 7 and I will be able to add it more

Okay, great, with plants and fritzyme 7, you are very close. All you need to do now is wait until your nitrites go to zero. Then you’re ready for animals. As long as you keep testing when you add them to make sure you have enough bacteria.

I have been this close several times and rushed it. And when I checked, I still had nitrites. It’s just very hard to wait sometimes 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 12:42 AM, Tony s said:

I have been this close several times and rushed it. And when I checked, I still had nitrites. It’s just very hard to wait sometime

I agree)) it’s so difficult waiting))