Buenos Aires tetra tankmate help

I’ve got a group of 7 BAs, I’m planning on making it 10, but can I add a school of Silvertip tetras or glow light raspboras in with them? Or are they too small? I’ve heard they can be aggressive but mine don’t seem to be aggressive, they don’t even eat my plants all that much. 

I’ve only recently learned about Buenos Aires tetras, and have never kept them. But it’s my understanding that not only can they decimate the vegetation in a planted tank, but they are also surprisingly aggressive and very fin-nippy. It sounds like they need large tanks, and should be kept in schools of a dozen or more. For tank mates, they seem to do better with semi-aggressive fishes, like some of the larger South American cichlids. If anyone has firsthand experience, please chime in, because I’m dissuaded from trying them.

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 10:00 AM, AtomicSunfish said:

But it’s my understanding that not only can they decimate the vegetation in a planted tank, but they are also surprisingly aggressive and very fin-nippy

I love how they had the flowers under water in the video. Just a quirky way to add color 

On 9/7/2024 at 8:47 PM, Tony s said:

Try this video if you haven’t seen it yet. I’ve heard him say “buenos aires tetra… there can be only one “ a riff off the old Highlander movies 

Frankly, mine are nothing like they say in the videos, sometimes they eat new growth on plants, but that’s the worst I’ve seen them do in like 2 months of having them. I even have one that’s very obviously smaller than the rest, and he’s doing great! If anything he bugs the rest of them. Im Guessing my group is some kind of exception though. 

• Like 2