New shrimpkeeper— neocardinas keep dying

marth

Hi all, as the glowlight tetras I have had for a few years have dwindled down to the final two, I decided to switch the tank to a shrimp tank around two weeks ago, and purchased 7 orange Sunkists (neocardinas) from my lfs, along with a java fern, some java moss, and 2 sword plants that I do not remember the name of. 

However, i noticed that they have been gradually dying, some a few days within purchase, and one today. I have attached images of the tank, as well as a tetra strip test from today. I have had the 10 gallon tank for around 4 years now, so I believe it is quite established, although I did not have plants until recently, and after looking the strip results, I don’t think that my parameters are perfect. the light is automatic, and turns on 15 minutes before sunrise, and off 15 minutes after sunset. I do weekly water changes of 10%, and use a dechlorinator. I also add easy green fertilizer every week at the same time as the water change.

For food, I have been feeding the fish regularly, and the shrimp pretty much have always ignored the pellets I gave, which are omega one shrimp pellets (https://www.grangecoop.com/omega-one-shrimp-pellets-2-15-oz?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp&sc_intid=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8--2BhCHARIsAF_w1gxO5VBRnnCA9OlO6O-Tztp0IHFzZsjefxAyMhM2HILG2cbqxkLtmYQaAod-EALw_wcB). I also tried giving a piece of blanched lettuce once, but it went untouched for 24 hours, so I took it out. At first I was worried that they were underfed, but sources seemed to say that if they ignore the food, they are doing fine on the biofilm.

As for the shrimp, I received a freebie shrimplet at time of purchase, which has now grown into an adolescent shrimp, with a size matching the other shrimp, but a much clearer color. One of the shrimp was also berried at time of purchase, and I noticed a few shrimplets hatched just a few days ago. Because of this, I was happy as I thought that my tank was doing much better, but after finding another death today, I want to do everything I can do prevent this in the future. 

As a newbie, I really do have no idea why they are dying, but I do notice molts around when the shrimp die. I don’t know for sure if it is their molt, or how close in time the two even occur, but wanted to offer any information I can.

Although I have tried to do my research, I am really sorry for my shortcomings, and please advise me on what I can do better for my shrimp. I really do want to do better, and I will appreciate any help, and will provide any further information. For the time being, I don’t plan on buying any more shrimp until I can fix things.

Thank you for reading

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4638.jpeg

tetra-easy-strips-6-in-1-aquarium-water-quick-multi-testing-strips-fresh-marine-tank-458011.jpeg

Edited by marth

If you are seeing molts and babies that is definitely a good sign.  It’s probable that the younger one and new babies will do fine in your tank because they are better able to adjust to the water parameters. When you are ready to buy more, try to get juveniles and babies, they have a much easier time adjusting to changes in water conditions. 
I agree that getting your KH up (use Salty Shrimp or Seachem Alkalinity) and adding some more plants and botanicals will help the shrimp feel more at home. 
However, in my experience losing a few shrimp early on is normal, it’s possible you didn’t do anything wrong. 
Keep researching (Shrimply Explained on the web and YouTube is an excellent resource) and don’t sweat the losses too much. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of your issues.  It's definitely a disheartening problem when you watch them drop one by one.  I run 3x shrimp tanks, each housing a different color (red, orange, blue) and have been working through a similar issue.  All three of my tanks are kept identical in setup, and, like you, only my orange ones seem to struggle.  It's hard to tell on your test strip what the true story is as strips can be really inaccurate, but also because some items should be read right away, while others should be read after about 30 seconds have passed.  At face value, it looks like your GH is a little low and your pH is high, which ironically, was the same exact issues I have been having.

I usually use 50% RO/50% tap water to replenish my tanks and do water changes.  I did minimal water changes in efforts to keep water parameters more stable, however I believe this was part of my issue as my pH steadily rose.  I recently started doing more regular water changes with the RO portion of my water remineralized using SaltyShrimp GH/KH.  Since that time, I haven't had any more die off (fingers crossed, it has only been a couple of weeks).  This really didn't answer my question why it was only my orange shrimp that died however.  There is no sign of disease in my tanks.  Given you are struggling with your orange shrimp as well, there is the possibility of a weaker genetic line among orange neocaridina, though this is really just conjecture.

As others have said, raise the KH, ideally with a shrimp focused remineraliser. Your GH seems high already, so just get something for KH.
Also, maybe it's just the photo, what reading is your Nitrates and pH?

Both seem quite high on the photo, but maybe it's just the photo.

Hi everyone, thank you all for the replies!

I think I will try to get the KH up using the remineraliser, and I do think my nitrates and nitrites might be too high, at maybe 80 and 0.5 respectively. I'm going to try to do some larger water changes than I have been to try to get that under control.

I also am letting the algae grow on the sides and back, and just clearing out the front. I think I'll get some almond leaves as well.

One more question, I noticed that there are relatively a lot of shrimp (particularly the babies) at the top of the structure I have placed in there, is it possible that there is an issue with the oxygen in the tank? This is something I've just read about in the past, and I don't know too much about it.

But on a positive note, I'm seeing a lot of babies that are growing fairly quickly, and most seem to be doing quite well, although I did find one had died. But out of maybe 8 or so, the others seem to be doing well. A shrimp that I got in the original batch also has a saddle now, so I'm glad to see that at least some of them are doing well. I have maybe 1 other shrimp that might be a male, as it is a lot smaller, but I'm not entirely sure. Does it seem likely that this male would be able to fertilize the saddle on the female? Or would it be better to maybe buy another male along with the shrimp remineralizer and other things I plan on buying?

Edited by marth