Sponge filter or ziss bubble filter for hospital tank

Markp2483

Ive used cycled sponge filters for every hospital tank. But I have run into ammonia issues using meds.(meds sometimes kill bb on sponge) Understand I can do water changes and or add dechlorinator but wondering if there maybe a better way. 

Thinking of adding k1 micro to an established tank and then when I have to setup a hospital tank I can use ziss bubble filter with the cycled media. If I kill the bb on the media I can quickly swap it out. Additionally those bubble filters are really good at processing ammonia 

Thoughts?

IMO, sponges are the way to go. Anything that will kill the bacteria off the sponge will also kill it off of the bubble filter. Your water should be de-chlorinated as it is going into the tank every time to add water.

I use a sponge filter in my hospital tank. With that said....the best medicine I have found is clean water and a stress-free environment. (I really that was not really the question at hand, but can be related.)

I generally do 50 percent water changes every other day at a minimum, in a hospital tank....sometimes more frequent. If I am using meds or salt, I replace what is removed during the water change. I have found myself resorting to meds less and less.

Right now, I have a large Denison Barb in my hospital tank. My Oscar flexed a bit, and bit off nearly all of his tail. I did do a Kanaplex series off the bat, but that was mainly to ward off any secondary infection. Since then....just some salt and clean water. 50% WC every other day religiously. No lights. His tail is regrowing at a rapid rate, and he's eating like a pig. His color is also more vibrant than when he was in the main tank. I really believe in clean, fresh water.

Also...related to your post...Kanaplex seems to play far better with beneficial bacteria for me, than something like EM Erythromycin / Maracyn. That may help your issue in itself.

Edited by quikv6

I have a fluidized/moving bed sump filter so I am a bit biased here as the ziss bubble filter is a fluidized/moving bed filter. The advantage with this method, if the meds kill off the bacteria, just replace the K1 media with seasoned media. 

You could put the ziss filter in a 5 gallon bucket with a small air pump and dose the water with ammonia once in awhile or just dump some food into the bucket. This way you will always have a filter ready with some spare K1 media floating in the bucket.

• Thanks 1

The idea for using the fluidized filter over a sponge filter is I can have a ton of media in a sump ready to go. If I see ammonia rising I can twist the top and replace the media. I could do the same with multiple sponge filters but they take up more space. Also fluidize filters are suppose to be superior for processing ammonia which is really all I care about.

Currently treating a sick goldfish for dropsy. The cause was a ton of tapeworms with probably a secondary infection. Treated with salt and Kanaplex but that killed the cycle on the sponge filter.  Switched to paracleanse once i knew it was parasites.  I feed regularly to help clear the GI tract. Lots of poop that I vac out daily. And I keep checking to see if I still see more tapeworms. The tank is a 30 gal koi tub. I do daily 50% water changes but the ammonia is stillimage.jpg.cc2316f76305c3b0e02eec6675ddc0aa.jpg around 1.5ppm. Just added a fluidize filter today so I’ll see if it makes a difference 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 9:29 PM, Markp2483 said:

I can have a ton of media in a sump ready to go.

Big thanks for this excellent idea, same as you I have alot of K1 media ready to go. My spare sponge filter is just sitting in the sump unpowered, not sure how much bacteria is growing in it without any water flow thru it. The Ziss is on my purchase list.

The aerated water is a big benefit for air powered fluidized bed filters.