How do I know how brackish to make a tank?

I have some lampeyes that are supposed to be a brackish water species, but there's apparently at least one population that has been found in fresh water. I tried to drip acclimate my fish to more brackish water over a day, but they don't seem to tolerate it really well. When I approach a tablespoon of marine salt per gallon, they become less interested in food, their lower GI tract turns red, and they aren't as interested in fighting/breeding. They perked up a lot when I did a big water change. Since this species is supposed to have longer lifespans and breed more easily in brackish water, I'm wondering how I tell whether I acclimated too quickly vs. these are just a freshwater population? Anybody have any ideas?  

You might ask the place where you got them what kind of water they were kept in. They may have been converted to fresh there. I know a couple of guppy places that will convert guppies from brackish to fresh upon import 

They came in freshwater as by catch with a different species of lampeye, micropanchax luxophalmus. M. luxophtalmus is supposed to be a purely freshwater fish.  I asked the seller to try to get more info from their distributor, but they didn't get an answer. I would just leave them in freshwater, but I didn't see any breeding behavior at all until I added a tablespoon of salt to their 3 gallon tank. 

On 8/30/2024 at 11:14 PM, skeeter_2 said:

but I didn't see any breeding behavior at all until I added a tablespoon of salt to their 3 gallon tank

Very cool. Maybe it’s all just a matter of your tweaking things. Trying as you go kind of thing. You kind of know now what they don’t like.  1 tlbsp per is too much. 1 to 3 seems to be a good starting point. Maybe stay there and see if you get any fry. And see what happens to them. Hopefully someone else can help, but you have a good start