Cardinal tetra

I have a 75 gallon planted tank that currently just has 2 gold rams and 2 bolivan rams. Id like to add a large school of tetras and then eventually add discus once the tanks matrues. How many tetras could I add at one time without adding to many for a new tanks bactiera is like 25 to many. And how many could I have in a tank with discus. Im just not sure how to count smaller fish into the bioload of the tank

On 8/29/2024 at 4:02 PM, notronaldreagan said:

I have a 75 gallon planted tank that currently just has 2 gold rams and 2 bolivan rams. Id like to add a large school of tetras and then eventually add discus once the tanks matrues. How many tetras could I add at one time without adding to many for a new tanks bactiera is like 25 to many. And how many could I have in a tank with discus. Im just not sure how to count smaller fish into the bioload of the tank

Depends on how long you have had your tank up and running.

I have a very heavy planted aquarium that has been set up for over 4 years (I have a sponge filter and a Fluval 307 Canister). I wouldn't be afraid of adding 30-40 Cardinals to my tank in one shot. (The amount of beneficial bacteria and the amount of plants, it really would take a lot for me to get an ammonia spike. The floating plants along with all the other plants just remove the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate out of my tank. I have been testing my water and I barely ever have any nitrate in my water. Plants are your friend.) I believe I could get away with doing water changes once a year if I felt like it.

• Like 1