Bagging Fish: Ziplock's the best right? ;)

Chad

Kidding! But I could use some help.

I'm going to try selling/offloading guppies and swordtails next month at a local fish club. I might also be selling and shipping to an out-of-state fish dealer. I'm trying to figure out the best bags (and size) to ship the fish in? I saw some posts by the ever-knowledgeable and helpful @Fish Folk where he recommends breather bags but I couldn't find any of his recommendations (Long-Life and Korden) for sale (other than in eBay but that felt a bit janky to me. But hey, what do I know?).

I was also looking into bags from Uline (the 3mil gusseted poly bags) but got lost in what a good size would be? For shipping multiple fish and also singles? 

Thoughts? Help? I'll save postage and handling for another day/topic.

I’ve never shipped fish, so keep that in mind, but I have two thoughts. 

1. eBay may seem a little jank, but in the fish world it’s a pretty common thing from my understanding over the past 4 years of playing with fish. 
2. You should consider shipping today. For me, that would determine a lot of the bag sizing. Whether that’s an individual fish or up to X amount per bag, water is heavy, and shipping is expensive. Consider shipping now as part of your master plan to ship fish. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks @AllFishNoBrakes! And regarding eBay, my only issue is what I'm used to. I still think of eBay as a place to buy collectibles or interesting things. Basic supplies like plastic bags just feels off to me. But that's on me. 

You're also right, I do need to consider the shipping of fish now vs. later. That's gonna take some working out for me. I have watched videos and seen tutorials on how to do it but figuring out the best sized box and numbers of fish to ship still eludes me. Again, thanks for the advice!

• Like 1